Vegetable Sambar(Curry) with Rice

I was wondering which recipe to start with and really had to hold back putting all my recipes here at once…he he he :)

I finally decided to tell you about my mom’s delicious vegetable sambar (tharkaari huli) Easy to make and very fulfilling.

You will need

To Boil:

2 Carrots sliced
½ cup Green Beans cut into 1” pcs.
1 Onion cubed
1 handful (frozen or fresh) Lima Beans(Avarekai) or Peas
1 cup Chayote Squash cubed (Seemebadnekai)
1 cup Tuar Dal (Thogribele)
Turmeric a pinch
½ tsp. oil

(You can also use Potatoes, Tindora and any other vegetable you have on hand)











Roast:

1 tbsp Corriander seeds
½ tsp Jeera
1 tsp Bengal Gram (chana dal)
1 tsp Urad dal
2 to 3 Black pepper whole
¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
4-6 Dry red chillies
Add little hing in the end.





1 cup fresh grated coconut






Seasoning:

Tamarind pulp – ½ cup
Jaggery – ¼” pc (optional)
Curry leaves – a few
Mustard seasoning (Mustard fried in oil with little hing –aesofotida)
Chopped Corriander (Cilantro) for garnishing

Salt to taste







  1. Pressure cook vegetables with Tuar Dal, a pinch of turmeric and oil in a cooker.
  2. Roast each ingredient separately and then powder the mixture. Grind this with fresh coconut gratings and little water to make a smooth paste.
  3. Add this paste to the boiled vegetables along with tamarind pulp, jaggery, salt, curry leaves and mustard seasoning. Bring to a boil and let boil for 5 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander. Vegetable Sambar is now ready to eat with steamed white rice.


Hope you will try this recipe!

9 comments:

  1. Great first recipe! :).....nice pictures and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!!! do u have any recipes for afternoon snacks? please dont say uppittu. something that is cruncy and spicy and chatpata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sure sharmila,will be putting up a snack in a while, this one isn't crunchy but its tasty.Hope you will like it.Will put other recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Namratha,you are a Kannada girl! YAY!! Great looking huli there!Good to see your blog!:)
    I am hosting RCI Karnataka this month from 26th,make sure you post something really authentic Kannada cuisine for me.I will announce on the 22nd(I post only on Wednesdays at FH and at Aroma, twice a week)See you there!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hii Asha, I'm so glad you dropped by..thanks a ton!:) I will surely post something for RCI Karnataka, looking forward to it. Will check your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Namratha, just starting off on your JFI Toor Dal parade here, of course I picked my fav Sambhar to peek at first! Looks wonderful!

    Thanks for sending all these great dishes for JFI :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Namratha,,

    Yay!! you are a kannada girl!!!..Lovely recipes.. I will definetly try your version of sambhar..

    I am a fairly new authentic Namma Karnataka food blogger..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing recipes and amazing blog site! Will surely try out something from here.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin