Idli Upma and Dill Rice

There’s many a time when we have a fridge full of left overs and don’t know where to begin clearing it. After the Ganesha habba I was left with a lot of Idli batter. I know it keeps for a long time and I can make idlis whenever but I already had some left over from before too so that makes a lot of batter in the fridge! Moreover I've had idlis so many times now I just want to stop for a while!!I had to finish the batter so I went ahead and made the idlis but it didn’t stop there. I made Idli upma from it, unless you tell someone what the upma is they wouldn’t guess its from Idlis…hehe

So Idli Upma is my entry to the event Weekend Breakfast Blogging (WBB), hosted by Nandita of Saffron Trail. This time the theme is Breakfast with Leftovers.


Idli Upma

You will need:

10-15 steamed idlis (powdered)
2 tbsps Oil
1 onion chopped
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
½ tsp Chana dal
6 Green chillies
Few curry leaves
½ tsp Turmeric powder
½ tsp Lime juice
Chopped coriander
Salt to taste







Break up the idlis with your hands or with the help of fork. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. Saute for a minute. Add the curry leaves and green chillies. Add the chopped onions anf fry till soft. Add the turmeric powder and sauté for a minute. Add the idli powder and mix well. Add salt to taste and lime juice. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.


Dill Rice

Dill is a strong herb which is used a lot in our cooking back home. We call it Sabakshi soppu in Kannada and I had no idea what it was called in English till I came to the US :-D When I first bought it in Kroger, since it’s a ‘herb’ it was being sold in small boxes, probably a few sprigs for around $4..I sighed and finally bought it because it looked very familiar and I had a recipe to use it in. I got home and when I tasted it I laughed so hard at the fact that I had bought a few sprigs of Sabakshi for $4 when I can get around 2 big bunches of the same at an Indian grocery store!! J Well now I know what ‘Dill’ is and definitely buy it at an Indian store…he he!

Dill Rice or Sabakshi Rice not only brings out the best flavour of Dill but it is a quick recipe for an instant meal.

You will need

Steamed Rice
2 tbsps Oil
1 onion chopped
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
½ tsp Chana dal
6 Green chillies
½ bunch Dill (about ¾ cup chopped)
Salt to taste











Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and the chana dal. Add the slit green chillies. Saute for a minute and then add the chopped onions. Fry till soft and onions are translucent. Add the chopped Sabakshi (Dill) and fry for a couple of minutes till the raw smell of the Dill is gone. Add the steamed rice and salt. Mix well and serve hot.

17 comments:

  1. Great entries N! Love the Idly Upma, never tried it before.Dill leaves in Rice looks delicious too.You are a great cook!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dill rice caught my attention! I love the flavor of dill...this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. idly upma..nice!! great idea..i will try the dill rice..looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. never did i try dill till date!! Dill rice sounds interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Asha:) It's lovely to hear that from a great cook like you!

    Try the Dill Rice Meeso, I think you will like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rajitha, do try it, I'm sure you will love it!

    Thanks for stopping by Priya:)Dill is very flavourful, do try it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Idli upma in lunch box always brought a smile on to my face. Now-a-days I make extra idlis just to make this upma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never have ate idli upma. It is always idli. But really a great way of making it.
    I never knew Dill was a common herb in India.
    One learn new information everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. idli upma was our regualr evening snack when ever amma made idli for breakfast:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so true Suganya, the first time mom made it, it surprised me how good upma from idli could taste!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh then do try the Idli Upma Happy cook, I'm sure you will love it! Hmm Dill sure is common there, as I said its called something else though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by Sia:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great entries. I love idli upma more than idlis.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to have this kind of idli upma in hostel, it used to taste nice. you reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Suma!:)

    Nice to know this brought back good memories Sharmi:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Namiii.... evathu ninna Dill anna maadidde... It was yummy.. made one addition though.. added potato too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the really simple and aromatic recipe. I am always on the lookout for dishes I can takr to work. This one is a keeper

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin