Corn & Methi Pulao and a trip to IFM :

I recently found fresh Methi(Fenugreek) leaves at the International Farmers Market (IFM) here in Atlanta..it was a joy for me because for all the time I’ve been here in the US, I unfortunately hadn’t seen or found fresh Methi leaves anywhere, hence all the dishes that required Methi were buried deep somewhere in the realms of my cook book. Maybe I hadn’t found Methi before because I hadn’t been to an IFM before..hehe…shame on me..that’s a cook’s paradise with all the different kinds of veggies…some which I hadn’t even seen earlier!! I was jumping with joy at the sight of fresh Methi because I don’t like the frozen one. We moved to Atlanta only a couple of months ago so the Farmers' Market was a prized find..hehe! Well I can go on and on so let me stop here and get cooking. :)


Corn & Methi Pulao:

You will need: (Serves 2)

1 ½ cooker cups Basmati Rice
Water as required ( 1 cup rice : 1 ½ cups water)
100 gms Corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
150 gms (about ¾ cup)Methi leaves
2 tbsps. Ginger Garlic paste
2 onions thinly sliced
6-8 green chillies (slit)
3-4 tbsps Oil
2-3 tsps Ghee
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cardomom pods
3 cloves
½” pc Cinnamon
1 Bay leaf
Salt to taste





















Wash and soak Basmati Rice for 15 minutes. Wash methi leaves. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Sauté for a minute and then add the slit green chillies and onions. Sauté till the onions are soft. Add the Ginger Garlic paste and sauté for 2 more minutes. Now add the methi leaves and the corn. Mix well and let sit for a minute. Add the measured quantity of water and salt. Mix well and close cooker lid.

When steam begins to rise, reduce heat and add the drained basmati rice. Add the lime juice, give it a stir and close lid. Cook on high and when steam begins to rise, place weight and cook on low for 6-8 minutes. Mix well before serving.


16 comments:

  1. nice... and guess what I am making methi rice now.. :) a different way though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh Methya soppy is a delight to use in dishes.You can easily grow in pots too , throw some seeds and you will see them sprout!
    Rice looks yum!Recipe sounds great too thanks:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice recipe and the pictures look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had also bought lots of methi the day back, so much tat i was thinking wat to do wit it :-) Could not resist green'ies ;-) Well, nice recipe, will sure give it a try.

    www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. namratha..nice!! yummy looking and love the white rice with the veggies showing on a black plate...btw.. you have amazing patience, the only reason i never buy methi is pulling the leaves out one by one..what a bore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corn & methi pulao looks very good & I bet it tastes great too. I know 'cos I've made this before & have loved it.
    I remember visiting a farmers' market while we were in Atlanta visiting my cousin.It was BIG & had everything under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey that's cool Suman, hope your methi pulao comes out well too :)

    Thanks for the tip Asha, will try growing it..will save me the trouble of finding it elsewhere.

    Thanks Pooja, I'm glad you stopped by:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mona,am glad you could stop by:)

    Thanks Rajitha...and the leaves part...well luckily for me the leaves fell off by themselves, so I really didn't have to pluck them...hehe...maybe you should hunt for such a bunch too ;-D

    Thanks TBC:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks nice and colorful.. you have an amazing blog here.. keep it coming, and thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love corn methi pulao :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice rice dish. Pity i don't get here Methi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nags and Raaga:)

    Thanks Happy Cook, oh it is sad you don't get methi there...don't you get frozen either?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey namratha the corn pulao looks yum and i have tried many recipes u have posted and it has come out well can u put up the recipe of red chutney.........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi invincible, thanks and I'm glad you've tried some of my recipes:)Which red chutney are you looking for? The one I've used in the Masala Dosa...if that is the one then the recipe is there in the same post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey namratha thanks for replying so soon not that chutney its tomato chutney i am asking for thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the second time I am seeing this recipe in the blogosphere. I am really curious to taste this now!

    Kanchana

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin