Home made Paneer and Matar Paneer:


I’ve been reading about Matar Paneer on so many blogs lately and that has strongly made me crave for some. I have been looking for fresh good paneer here in the Indian stores but have come across only old paneer, which is already cracked and crumbly in the pack itself. Not a good buy. It’s only occasionally I come across a fresh pack and I don’t hestitate to buy it. Now I have the craving for Matar Paneer, but no paneer…tough luck! That’s when I decided to make my own paneer. Though I’ve been planning to make my own for a while now, the absence of a thin cloth to use had stopped me; recently I bought cheesecloth, so I was all set to make paneer. I had seen mom make it long ago, so I knew the procedure. Here’s how to make delicious home-made Paneer.

Home made Paneer

You will need:

½ gallon Whole Milk (8 cups)
3 tbsp Lemon juice
Cheesecloth or a thin cloth for straining

Place milk in a large pot on medium high heat. Stir frequently to avoid milk from burning or sticking to the bottom. When the milk almost begins to boil, stir in the lemon juice. When the milk comes to a full boil, it will begin to curdle. It should look like this. (click to enlarge)

Stir for a minute and turn off heat.

Strain the liquid into a colander lined with a thin cloth or a double layer cheesecloth.

Rinse the paneer briefly under running cold water, this removes the residual citric taste. Squeeze out all the excess water, tie the cloth tightly and place it in the sink on a metal plate or a wooden board. Place another plate or board on top of this, weigh it down with metal cans or heavy objects. Let sit overnight or for atleast 6-8 hours, this helps the paneer to firm up.

Remove the block from the cloth and cut into cubes. If storing for a later day, place in a Ziplock bag and freeze. Thaw before using again.

This makes 1 ½ cups of cubed home-made Paneer.

Matar Paneer

Now that I had paneer, I was only a few steps away from digging into creamy Matar Paneer.

You will need:

1 cup Paneer cubed
1 cup Fresh/frozen Peas

For the Gravy:

2 Onions chopped
8 Tomatoes chopped
½ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tbsp Corriander powder
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp Cashew pieces
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Whole Garam Masala : 3 Cloves, 3 Cardamom pods, 1” cinnamon stick, 2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Chopped Coriander
1 tbsp Kasthuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)
¼ cup Fresh cream

Heat oil in a pan. Add cashew bits and sauté till light brown. Add the chopped onions and sauté till onions are soft and almost golden brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder and cook till soft. Lightly cool this mixture and then grind to a smooth paste without water. This is the basic gravy. You can use this to make any other curry by adding ingredients like vegetables to make Kadai Vegetable, Koftas to make Malai Kofta etc. This gravy is creamy and delicious inspite of the fact it contains no butter. The great taste comes from the slow simmering which brings the flavours together.

Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and whole garam masala. Saute for a minute. Now add the ground gravy and about ½ to 1 cup of water based on the consistency. Stir in cumin, coriander and red chilli powders. Add salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes. This thickens the gravy and also blends the spices well. Crush the kasthuri methi in your palm and add it to the gravy. Add the peas and paneer cubes. Simmer for 5 more minutes, stir in the fresh cream. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.

We had it with Butter Naans.

17 comments:

  1. lovely! i have always wanted to make paneer at home but become lazy n end up buying at the end :)

    nice mattar paneer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropped by looking for foodie blogs.. a lovely read! :)
    HAppy new year to you and family.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seemed to have got the perfect colour and texture...great job.now i am tempted to make some for myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Namratha!! Homemade paneer eh!! That looks so delicious!! I have never tried making my own. I bet that taste must be heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM YUM!! I made Paneer once with 2% milk which we always buy, I hardly had Paneer out of that, learnt by experience!:P
    Matar Paneer looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made paneer couple of times at home but my panner will have a lemon flavor always which I dont like ,CURRY looks soo yummy namratha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Nags, this time make it at home, its so easy and very tasty. :)

    Thanks Canary, glad you could stop by...a very happy new year to you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Easy, do try it! :)

    Thanks Padmaja, it sure was delicious to the last bite :)Try it, you will love it!

    Hehe, I bet that was a lesson well learnt Asha dear :-D Thanks!! :)

    Thanks Sagari, and rinse the paneer when you drain it in a colander, this will remove the lemony taste. I had no idea this would help till I saw it on tv sometime back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. homemade paneer is the best, but if you can't find it, try queso blanco, which you can find in any grocery store. it is also called queso fresco or panela. it is much better than store-bought indfian panner, and the method of making it is almost identical. it also grates very well.
    http://jugalbandi.info/2007/08/the-perfect-paneer-substitute/

    ReplyDelete
  10. that paneer looks great..i guess you will get a good lookin paneer when made with whole milk ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, paneer looks very good. does not take too long to make at home and tastes soooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Bee, I remember reading something about queso on your blog, but never got to read in detail, will check it out!

    Very true Rajitha, whole milk does wonders!

    Thanks Richa, yup it takes less time and well worth the efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've started making paneer too.. pretty easy right? Mmm.. that matar paneer looks so creamy and good. I make a similar gravy for a veg. kofta curry... really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ME wants to have fresh home made panner, but ME is very lazy.. thats how we end up buying panner from Indian Store all the time!

    The gravy looks thick n creamy.. Im sure it tasted good too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been one busy girl!
    wow! you made your own paneer?!
    I am the kind of person who will not make a dish if it involves using the pressure cooker or mixer ...that's how lazy I am! (BTW, I do use my PC and mixer... it's just that I make whatever I need in bulk and freeze in plastic containers so I can do without these things for a couple of weeks at least:-)

    The mattar paneer looks rich, creamy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Nami,
    Would u mind if I call u by Nami??? If so, let me knw.
    Ur Matar Paneer recipe look just yummy and tangy. I have to try it sooooonnnn....
    it'bookmarked...!!!
    Sonu:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    I tried the mattar paneer recipe and loved it.
    I have put a picture in my blog
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin