Strawberry and Pineapple Cake:

I took this cake to dinner at a friend’s place. I wanted my friend to cut it so couldn’t take any pictures of the cake slices. We were too busy hogging it up at her place to think about a picture!! The recipe for the basic cake is the same as the one for Black Forest Cake , but without the cocoa powder.

You will need:

For the Cake: (Makes two 9” thin cakes)

2 cups All purpose flour

1 ¾ Cups Confectioner’s sugar (Powdered Sugar)

6 Eggs

2 tsp Baking powder

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

For the Filling and Frosting:

1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

½ cup Confectioner’s sugar

1 Cup Pineapple chunks

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

For the syrup:

1 tbsp lime juice

½ tbsp Sugar

½ cup Water


Preheat oven to 300F.


Separate the white from the yolks. Beat each separately adding vanilla extract and little sugar at a time to make a stiff froth. Fold yellow into white. Sift flour and baking powder thrice and fold into the egg mixture.


FOLD: Means to slowly turn dry ingredients into the wet in a circular inward to outward motion. Do not beat or mix vigorously. The main purpose of folding is to allow more air into the mixture and also to avoid flattening the frothy eggs.


Pour mixture into two greased 9” pans. This mixture makes a thin cake, if you want a thicker cake, then use 8” pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes till cake is done and springs back on touch or a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.


Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then on the cooling rack.


Chill the beater blades and the bowl in which you will use to whip the cream. Whip cream while slowly adding sugar to a spreadable consistency. Do not overbeat, it turns to butter!


Mix lime juice, sugar and water in a bowl. Stir till sugar dissolves. Place one cake over a cake pedestal or plate, poke holes with a fork in a few places on the cake. Pour the syrup all over the cake in a spoon, till cake is moist (but not soggy). Spread an even layer of the cream on the cake.



Place pineapple chunks and sliced strawberries.



Place the other cake on top of this and repeat the moistening procedure. Spread an even thick layer of cream, decorate with remaining pineapple chunks and strawberries.



Chill before serving.


17 comments:

  1. nammu! u are becoming quite a talented baker...looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. baking still eludes me though i make tall plans every now and then :) good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing!!and stunning as well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Namratha!Simple and rich cake.Btw,why did you go for powdered sugar to make cake instead of normal sugar.Any specific reason?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet and tangy in the cake. I love the idea. Add sweetened coconut for texture next time, will make it perfect!:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Namratha, Strawberry and Pineapple are my fav fruits.. So I'm sure I will love this cake. Gr8 work dear.. Lovely. Bookmarked dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning and delicious.Reminds me of my moms pineapple upside down cake. I need occations to make cakes and desserts, else i cant get all that weight of 2 kids down :)
    Thanks for sharing this lovely looking recipe, have added it to my wish list to make them
    Archana
    http://www.archanaskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rajitha :) Can't resist baking nowadays :D

    You really should go ahead and do it Nags, you will be pleased I'm sure :)

    Thanks Raki:) Glad you stopped by!!

    Thanks Easy and Roopa :)

    Thanks Madhavi! :) I used the powdered sugar because it easily dissolves in the egg and also it makes the cake lighter.

    Thanks Asha,I'm not a big fan of coconut, but will keep it in mind the next time thought :)

    Thanks Rina, glad you like these fruits, they are my favs too! :)

    Thanks Archana :) I'm glad you stopped by, I totally understand what u mean about the occasions, I'm always looking for one too, can't wait to bake..hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Namratha that looks so delicious. Wish I could get a slice. I made a similar one but using only pineapple and used pineapple jam and almonds between the layers. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fruuits and cake, so what a supern combo. BTW, I made your pineapple gojju at home and before I cld take a picture it was goone..superb recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. cake looks beautiful namratha colors from both fruits are so good on that white base

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lavaanya, will check out yours dear:)

    Hey that's nice Shankari, I'm glad everyone liked it :)

    Thanks Sagari :) I love the colour combo too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never tried any cakes from scratch... will try your version soon... Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now thats one sexy looking cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anytime I see lime in a recipe I want to try it! This cake looks very pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin