Onion Curry – JFI onions:

This is one of the simplest and quickest curries, which is great tasting too.


You will need:

4 large onions thinly sliced
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
1 tsp Chana dal
Few curry leaves
3 tbsp Fried Gram (Dalia/ Hurgadale)
4 dry red chillies
½ cup Grated coconut (fresh)
¼ cup Oil
1/4 cup Tamarind juice
2-3 tbsp powdered Jaggery
Salt to taste
Water if required

Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. Saute for a few seconds and then add the curry leaves. Now add the thinly sliced onions. Saute till the onions are soft and translucent. Meanwhile, in a blender, powder the Dalia and dry red chillies. Then add the grated coconut and pulse 3-4 times. This further breaks up the coconut and blends with the powder.

Once the onions are done, add this powder to it and mix well. Stir in the tamarind juice and powdered jaggery. Add water if you want the curry to be a gravy, don’t add water if you want it to be a dry side dish. Cook till the raw smell of the dalia is gone. Serve hot with chapathis. I added little water to mine and made it a thick gravy.

This is my entry to JFI- Onions hosted by Radhika of Radhika’s Kitchen.

19 comments:

  1. simple, yet yummy, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onion Curry looks yummO ..:)

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first time i am seeing a curry that has only onions...looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. tasty healthy and good ! I will sum it up in 3 words..thanks for passing by my blog and leaving your comment. will see us around..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is delicious. I bought too many onions this week without knowing I already had at home. I will try this!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very tempting chutney :) how @ some garlic too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onion Curry looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Onion Curry looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is something new and interesting...
    it does look yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is new to me but looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks yummy.it would hav tasted good.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look simple, and I love onions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very tasty and perfect for me with my love of onions mmmmmm

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks so good nammu..great for onion lovers like me!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everybody for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always end up with much more onions than I could use... since that is one thing both of us pick up on our grocery runs without fail... this is a great recipe to use those up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simple and nice recipe. Must've tasted good. Great combo for chapathi.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Sig and Shriya :)

    cooking and the city, thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey namroos..finally i managed to make somethin from ur blog!!! i made the onion curry today...let me c how it is..looks good n damn easy to make... will tell u how it was...take care lov

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin