Sankranthi treats

Hope all of you had a wonderful Sankranthi/Pongal. I know I should have made this post yesterday but it was a tiring and long day, couldn’t get down to doing it.

We celebrate Sankranthi with two types of Pongal and Ellu, a dish made with White sesame seeds, roasted peanuts, fried gram, bits of coconut and jaggery. It also comes with sakkare acchu meaning sugar figures in various shapes, which add sweetness to the ellu. Looking at Indira’s acchulu, I was missing home and wished I could have some acchu. My cousin came to my rescue by telling me how to make them at home! I was surprised and was in total awe when I saw her acchu . I asked for the recipe and yay I made acchu at home too. My sis hand molded hers, turning them into leaves and cute blocks, but I was too skeptical about how mine would turn out if I did them by hand, so I played safe and bought the candy molds featuring sea shell shapes.

Sugar Sea Shells on the Ellu Shore

So this Sankranti was special with home made acchu and Ellu. I also made Sweet pongal and Khara Pongal (Spicy Pongal).

Ellu and Sakkare Acchu

To make the sugar figures :

This is the recipe my cousin gave me, I followed it to the T. Worked wonders, and I was all smiles at the end of it :)

You will need:

½ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Water
¼ cup Milk
Food colour of your choice

Take sugar and water in a non-stick pot and bring to a boil on medium heat. The sugar should start to bubble, add half the milk and stir slowly. The mixture will start to froth. At this point remove from heat, strain into another bowl, this filters the impurities in the sugar. Back in India, as my mom recalled, this process should really ‘purify’ the mixture, back here in the US, its pure as ever already..hehe. I thought I would skip the milk step but my sis said it would make the end product softer, so I decided to stick to the recipe. Pour the mixture back into the pan, bring to a boil again and then add the milk again, Let if froth, strain and bring back to a boil. Remember to stir continuously all along. As you go, the mixture should be a thick and opaque.

To test if it’s the right consistency (my cousin’s tip again), lightly grease a small piece of parchment paper and drop a little of the mixture on the paper. If it solidifies immediately then the mix is ready to be pured into molds. I sprayed the hard candy mold with non-stick spray just to be safe, and poured the liquid into them. Before pouring into the molds, make sure the liquid is free of large bubbles, stir to get rid of any if present.You could stir in food colour of your choice, I used lemon yellow to make the sea shells look pretty. Tap slightly to ensure the liquid is set evenly and also to get rid of remaining air bubbles.

Let sit for 10 minutes. The sugar should have set well. Turn over and tap lightly to release the figures.

Pack it with ellu, and give it away to friends, this is sure to impress them!! :)

Sweet Pongal and Khara Pongal with Tamarind Gojju

Sweet Pongal


You will need:

½ Cup Rice
½ Cup Yellow Moong Dal
2 tbsp Grated coconut
½ tsp Cardamom powder
¼ Cup Powdered Jaggery
Cashews and Raisins
1 tsp Ghee
2 Cups Water
2 Cups Milk

Lightly roast the yellow moong dal in a pan, till its fragrant. Pressure cook rice and moong dal with water and milk . Meanwhile, dissolve jaggery in little water and bring to a boil. Add this to the cooked rice and moong dal. Add the grated coconut and cardamom powder. Bring to a simmering boil Fry cashews and raisins in ghee. Add this to the pongal and serve hot or cold.

Khara Pongal


You will need:

½ Cup Rice
½ Cup Yellow Moong Dal
3 tbsp Grated coconut
1 tsp Cumin seeds
6-8 whole Peppercorns
1 tsp Ghee
4 Cups Water
Salt to taste

Roast moong dal in a pan till fragrant. Pressure cook rice and moong dal. To this add grated coconut and salt. In a small pan, heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and peppercorns. Saute for a few seconds and add this to the pongal. Mix well, bring to a boil and serve with Tamarind gojju.

Tamarind Gojju-- (Pongal Gojju)

You will need:

Equal portions of Tamarind and Jaggery
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Chana Dal (Kadlebele)
2 Green chillies slit
1 tsp Oil
1 tsp Besan flour
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when it begins to splutter, add the urad and chana dals. Add the green chillies and sauté for a minute. Keep aside.

In another pan, bring the tamarind juice/pulp and the jaggery to a simmering boil. Add water to mix them well. In a cup, blend Besan with water to make a smooth paste. Add this to the boiling liquid while stirring to make it thick. Now add the seasoning prepared earlier, bring to a boil. Season with salt and serve.

When I was a kid mom used to send me with the Ellu and Acchu to our neighbours, and my neighbours in turn would give us the Ellu they had made. It’s kinda like a barter system, only difference is you get the same item in return, but prepared with a variety of goodies in it. At the end of the day, I would have collected varieties of Ellu and Acchu from all the houses in our neighbourhood…those were the days!! :)

The first festival of the year has gone by, more to come!

38 comments:

  1. Namratha,
    I am really excited to see those shell shaped sakkare achu!!Looks like just they would melt in mouth!!
    Thanks to your cousin and you for posting such a wonderful recipe!
    Happy sankaranthi to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sugar acchu is new to me but yours look sopretty. Great idea to use candy moulds. Both pongals look perfect and the tamarind gojju... mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raks, they sure are melt in the mouth kind. I will have to hide them now, am eating too much! :D

    Thanks Laavi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey nams , i luv sakkare achhu esply home made (i was missing my mom's) ur sakkre achhu is perfect.
    I liked ur idea of making thm in candle mould :).....ill try ths weekend .......thou its late :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. nammu..how cool of u to continue with the tradions followed at home..i gotta learn from that!! and the acchu is adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks Shru :) Do try it...

    Thanks Rajitha dear, it was fun making these :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Namratha, pongal, ellu, both khara and seeet pongal look yummy. Reminds me so much of the "yellu beerodu" that we would have in the evening in Bangalore on Sankranthi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ellu bella, sakkare acchu, pongal all are looking delicious. I loved those sakkare acchu. Well I could not master making sakkare acchu, so did not trouble myself to make any. ellu beero sambhrama singaporenalli illa, ade main sankrantige..so yet another day passed by as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..all of them look so tempting..nice shapes you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those shell shaped achus look so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  11. all the sakkarai aachu shapes are super

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Namrata,
    Acchu brought back the memories of childhood.Thank you soooo much for sharing the 'hard to get' recipe.Happy pongal to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sakkare achchus look lovely. These were supposed to be a great treat as kids, but we only got our hands sticky and could never finish one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They definitely look most impressive and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey, u r giving it to ur friends... where is my share?..:)
    they look so beautiful, such lovely creations!
    loved this post of urs, lovely recipes for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Namratha!Belated Sankranthi wishes to you.sakkare acchchu is really very beautiful .I am goin to try it very soon and post this in my blog.Last 3 days were justs lots and lots of cooking,friends coming over.But,did not get a minute to take pics of what I cooked.Can you plz tell me where do we get candy moulds to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Namratha,what cute looking treats...and like Richa, where's my share ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a good Shankranti

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks u had a wonderfullll sankranthi namratha everything looks delecioussss

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks so tempting. Looks like you had a great pongal/sankranti
    Archana
    http://www.archanaskitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Candy molds are a fab idea. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Namratha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wat an awesome treat...love that achuuu..its new to me....looks like u had wonderful sankranthi....enjy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those sakkarai shells are *so* awesome! Very impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your treats...yummy yummy. Reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. happy sankrathi ....excellent treat

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pretty impressive Namratha, making sakare achhu this way looks way easier than the traditional.
    Like the tangy tamarind gojju...nice spread.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Red chillies, I miss the ellu beerodhu too..

    Hmm illu kooda adhe Lakshmi, yaarige ellu beerodhu? :D Hey acchu madodhu thumba easy, try this recipe..

    Thanks Srivalli, glad you could stop by :)

    Thanks Sig :)

    Thanks Easy :)

    Hi Satya, thanks...and its my pleasure to share the recipe...I owe it to my cousin in return :) Thanks for stopping by.

    Thanks Sra, oh ya, I would be greedy and pick a big peacock or something and a few bites would have me full! :D

    Thanks Nupur dear:)

    Haha, thanks Richa, yours is on the way ;)

    Thanks Madhavi, glad you had a fun filled Sankranti...must have been gr8 to have everyone over :)Do try this...its fun!!

    Thanks Sunita, hehe...one more added to the "send to Sunita" list :D

    Sure did Happy :)

    Thanks Sagari, festival was fun!

    Thanks Archana :)

    Thanks Suganya, pleasure is all mine.

    Thanks Remya...yup Sankranti was gr8

    Thanks Kay!! :)

    Thanks Rina and Deepa..

    Thanks Madhu, yup this was very easy and the results were very good as u can see.

    ReplyDelete
  28. those sakkare acchu's are so beautiful.... thank u so much for sharing these treats with us namratha:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness...I love the sugar figures, they are so cute!!! Also, the Sweet Pongal sounds so good, I want to try that very soon...I love sweet dishes made with dal :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Namrata,

    Where did you get 'hard candy molds'? I plan to make acchu for my baby's first sankranti. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi,

    Your ellu & acchu look great. I would like to know where you purchased the candy mold. I think it would help a lot using this instead of the traditional wood molds.

    Malini

    ReplyDelete
  32. Most such candy molds are sold in Michaels or cake decorating stores...I can't wait to try this recipe! this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I went to Michaels or JoAnns looking for hard candy molds. They have candy molds which are made of plastic, I didn't think they would be heat resistant. I did ask the folks who work there and they didn't think either and they mentioned those are chocolate mold. Even on that product package, it's mentioned that it is not designed for hard candy. Namratha, can you please let me know which store can I go to buy a hard candy mold? I appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Gauri

    ReplyDelete
  34. Savitha, Malini and Gauri, the hard candy molds are the chocolate candy molds available at Michaels or Walmart (if it carries Wilton products). Gauri, they are the same ones you saw. I have bought several of them and have had no problem with them being heat resistant. Since the quantity of sugar is not too much and the molds are not very deep, they hold up well, just as they would if you poured melted chocolate. I am going to update this post with a picture of the molds I used, so all of you get a better idea.

    Happy acchu making! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is the one I've used to make the acchu above.

    http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E318A9B-475A-BAC0-5B926399AC08CBE6&killnav=1

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Namratha ! I appreciate you getting it back to me so quickly.

    Gauri

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks, Namarata...I was waiting on seeing a response from you as well! That was quick!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nicely written blog about Makara Shankranthi, can u also upload photos of decorated pooja place

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin