Vegetable Puffs:

Vegetable Puffs is a favourite snack and I remember the endless times we've had these back in India. I missed them when I came here until one day when a friend mentioned using them to make veg puffs. The so-called "pups" (remember that?)are a breeze to make with the frozen pastry sheets.

I made these puffs using the traditional standard veggie filling found in most puffs in Indian bakeries(or atleast in all the places I've eaten these from!)

You will need:

1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed)
1 potato small cubed
½ cup fresh/frozen peas
1 carrot chopped
½ cup chopped green beans
1 tsp Garam masala
½ tsp Cumin seeds
½ tsp Chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Boil veggies in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, till just done but not overcooked. Drain and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and when it begins to splutter add the garam masala and red chilli powder. Let it sizzle for a few seconds and then add the boiled veggies. Toss to combine well. Season with salt and let mixture cool.

Meanwhile spread the thawed puff pastry sheet, and lightly roll to thin it out a little. Cut into equal sized rectangles. Place a spoon of the filling on one half of the cut rectangle, and fold the other half over the filling. Press sides to seal the pastry.

You can brush the top with beaten egg to help the puffs brown well. Otherwise bake for a minute longer to achieve the golden colour.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Keep a close watch after 15 minutes and remove when done. Serve hot with your favourite ketchup.

These are great while sitting at home or when on the road so I'm sending them to the "Travel Food Festival" hosted by dear Easy over at Simple Indian Food.

More puff versions here:

Corn Puffs
Egg Puffs

Another version of veggie puffs over at dear Rajitha's blog.

26 comments:

  1. whoooaaa... i just love them....
    man you got my taste bud running.... now I have to make one of these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. u have a wonderful blog and cook ver tasty foods

    i always check your website for yummy recipes, i have tried some of them too, but i couldn't leave comment because it was not allowing for visitors.now i can, thanks

    u cook cakes to lovely, teach us also how to decorate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love veggie puffs. I use to have them every week without fail while I was in hyderabad. I make them here at home along with the puff pastry sheets right from the scratch. I need to make them sometime and post at my blog. Thanks for reminding such a wonderful snack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this looks so good...drooling over it

    thanks for sending in the entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veg Puffs are my favorites and I remember how we as school going kids used to gobble for few rupees in a bakery nearby.. will make them for sure...

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really delicious your veg puffs :)
    will try to make

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, looks delicious! I shall give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking puffs..Reminded me of the days back in college and bakeries in India :)..

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummers nammu..soo soo good...you got me drooling and craving again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do u get time namratha dear??
    I see so many beautiful cakes here which must be eating your time and now i see some amazing snacks as well!! Lovely puffs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Great idea for Game night too, thanks Nammu. Enjoy the game!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Veg puffs are my fav and i have them almost everyday for snacks.....love them

    these look delish and warm

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhhhhhhh it reminds me of the time back at home.
    My mom bought this always whenshe went for shopping.
    Looking to you picture i can imagine mymom bringing them from the bakers and the brown paper bag will be oily too from the puffs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummm :)
    they look just like the ones we get back home...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these, easy to make and filling too!
    I used to buy these from Monginis!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are just awesome! I really would enjoy very much eating one of these veggie puffs! I love the pic where its cut into two showing the veggies tucked inside - drool!! :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Namratha, those puffs look really puffy...must have tasted yumm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy, I love to cook with puff pastry, it makes everything so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hehe, try them Suman, they are so easy to make and quick too :)

    Thanks anonymous, do leave your name the next time :)

    Wow, from scratch, that's gr8 Hima, do post yours soon:)

    My pleasure Easy :)

    Thanks Siri, and so very true, puffs always reminds me of India.

    Do try them Vanamala, thanks for stopping by :)

    Thanks Uma, do try, they are easy.

    Thanks for stopping Maya :)

    Thanks dear Rajitha, I tried your version too and it was AWESOME!:)

    Haha, I sure have a lot of time to cook and eat what I crave Padma dear...only what I crave :D

    Thanks Asha dear, you enjoy the game too... here hubby dear will be enjoying it more than me :)

    Oh wow Bhags, glad to know you love these too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh Happy, that;' such a wonderful memory and now that you mentioned it, I remember those oily paper bags too :D

    Thanks Richa

    Glad you like them too Mansi, hmm I remember Monginis..

    Thanks Rosie :)

    Thanks Sunita, oh ya they were all gone way too quickly!!

    So true Meeso, makes satisfying these cravings so much quicker and easier.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love puffs. have thought of making it many times but ur post did it. will have to make it now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi...it really yum...wel i wil surely try it out..wel can u tel me wat is sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed) n where wil i find it .....n ya i did go thriugh ur other dishes it seem really nice n yummmy ....
    thank u so much u really 8rt talent ...i appericate tht ..
    thank u
    hope n lite
    succes
    n smile

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this recipe.. it turned out so yummyyyyyyyy :) thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Namratha ,

    Was searching for veg puff recipe and stumbled upn your blog.. lovely pictures!! :) .

    I am very much tempted to try this recipe , but just a quick question .. by beaten egg u mean only the white of the egg or whole yellow+white .

    Your response will be highly appreciated! :)

    Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Archana, apologies for the really late response! I haven't been on here for a while due to personal reasons. I used a whole egg beaten for this recipe, hope this helps!

      Delete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin