Dal Maakhani and Jeera Rice

Dal Maakhani and Jeera Rice are the ultimate pair of dishes when it comes to good eating. The creamy lentil curry paired with the mildly flavoured fragrant rice, its a match made in Food Heaven :-D


I had been meaning to make Dal Maakhani at home for a long time, but never got down to doing it because I would always forget to buy the Black Dal at the Indian store. A couple of weeks ago, while chatting with my cousin, Dal Maakhani found its way into the conversation, and I was soon reading up on Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe for the dish. I could have got the recipe of his website but I guess that would have never happened without a nudge from external forces...hehe! Thanks to my cousin :)

Dal Maakhani


You will need:

1 cup Black dal (Whole Urad Dal)
2 tbsp Rajma (Red kidney beans)
1 large Onion, chopped
1 large Tomato, chopped
1" pc Ginger finely chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tsp Chilli powder
2 Green Chillies, slit
3 tbsp Butter
2 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

Soak both dals over night. Pressure cook the dals with salt and little chilly powder for three whistles and cook on low heat for 40 minutes.
Heat oil and butter in a thick bottomed vessel. On medium high heat add cumin seeds, when they splutter add ginger, garlic and green chillies.After a minute add onions and saute till done. Now add the chopped tomato, chilly powder, garam masala and salt. Also add the cooked dals. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer on low heat. The longer it cooks, the better the taste and creamier the curry.
Jeera Rice

You will need:

1 Cup Basmati Rice
1 1/2 cups Water
2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 Onion thinly sliced
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Cardamoms
3 Cloves
1/2 " pc of Cinnamon
1 Bay Leaf
2 tbsp Oil

Wash Basmati Rice thoroughly and soak in cold water for 15 minutes.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf and cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add the sliced onions and fry till soft. Add the water and close lid, turn heat to high. When the steam begins to rise, lower heat and open lid. Drain the soaked rice, add it to the cooker, season with salt and stir to combine. Close lid, turn heat to high and let steam rise again. Place weight and cook for 6 minutes on low heat. Mix well before serving.


Update:

I am sending the Dal Maakhani over to Srivalli's Curry Mela at Cooking 4 All Seasons.

31 comments:

  1. Ultimate combo, look delicious, yummmmmmm!!!!Muje to bhukh lag gai ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that daal looks yummy, but somehow i always order the yellow daal in restaurants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, that Dal Makhni is to die for! I love the combo of jeera rice and dal makhni. My daughter loves dal makhni and plain basmati ghee rice:-) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nam, that combi is a sure hit...looks very yummy...btw you can send that dal makhani for curry mela..

    ReplyDelete
  5. combo looks delicious,..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Namratha..dal makhani looks perfect..well, when i tried, i did not cook for so longer of 40 minutes..i got to try it now. i always verify my recipe with your's and find out what mistake iam making..thanks dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! i hate you :)...how delicious is all that nammu...we usually make jeera rice with rajma..boy! i am craving for jeera rice....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ultimate Combination.. My husband loves this combo so much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dhal and jeera rice look perfect! Love the combo !

    ReplyDelete
  10. U r right...this combo is a match made in heaven..even i love this combo...i too posted the same combo in my blog a month back :)..yummmm..

    ReplyDelete
  11. like you said.. it turly is the ultimate combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. the dal makhani looks superb, I would love a plate too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely combination!! baayalli neeru bartaide!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does look soooo good! I would be too happy with that for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to each of you for your valuable comments, I appreciate your stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. kya re dal chawal dikhaker lalach de rahe ho. it is looking very tempting :)). Perfect food on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love this combi...tempting one

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the creamy texture of this dhaal...and what a perfect combination. Looks delicious.

    I had left a comment on your spanakopita recipe saying that I too made it a while ago and will be posting soon but I don't find it now. Maybe there was an error of some sort - not sure.

    Yours looks great and since you tried the authentic version at the greek festival you will know exactly how it tasted... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How have you you been, Namratha? Hope you guys are doing fine.

    I too have been meaning to make dal makhani for the longest time ever since I saw a lot of blogs with DM posts. :D Finally, last month, I went and bought some whole urad dal just for this. Now I guess I need a couple of months more before I actually try out the recipe.:D
    Love the color of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousJuly 19, 2008

    Wow...this combo really rocks! Your dishes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thatz a lovely combo .. it looks perfect .. the pic is sooo tempting ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this combo..you have really cooked them well!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. namratha
    the pictures have come out well and this duo pair is always one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never cooked with black daal, love the pictures Namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Namratha...never tried Dhal Maakhani..though it is so famous...
    U inspire me now.

    And Jeera rice is so simple and flavourful...can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a spread that is making even a hardcore carnivore like me drool!! Absolutely awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a drool worthy combo, I mean the jeera color is matching with the dal makhani, a treat to our eyes too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like the combo of dal makhani and jeera rice. The jeera rice is yummy. Its quick and fairly simple to make. I want to try making the dal makhani one day, but never seem to have the right dal on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nams,
    I tried dal makhani last weekend. It came out so well, really liked the taste and the creamy texture. Thanks for the yummy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin