Greek Festival

My husband and I went to a Greek festival last month, held every year by the Greek Church here in Atlanta. I was very eager to get my first taste of Greek food. The festival showcased Greek heritage and culture, through their elaborate costumes, dances and the delicious food.

We tried Spanakopitas and Saganaki (also called Greek Flaming Cheese) - which is nothing but Feta or Kasseri cheese deep fried and served with a drizzle of brandy on top. The brandy is usually lit up before serving and a friendly cheer "Opa" resounds through the gathering before the cheese is eaten.

Spanakopitas is a spinach and feta cheese pie. Made with phyllo dough, its a light and tasty appetizer.

Pita Bread, Hummus and Spanakopitas

Saganaki (Greek Flaming Cheese)

The traditional dance

"The May Pole" Dance

It was a pleasant evening and I was really glad that we went to this festival. It was good to get a feel of another country's culture and food.

I made Spanakopitas recently, that's coming up in the next post.

11 comments:

  1. It feels so good to learn about other culture, food, and their way of celebration. Food looks drooooly..trust you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow,.yummy food nd colourful pics,..thnks for sharin..

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 08, 2008

    Nice pics! Almost feel like I am in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nam, that looks great...its wonderful to watch traditional dance right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pics and you seem to have had a great time. Waiting for the recipe now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to know about other cultures,Greek food is awesome,I like the cheese and feta filling.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the Greek festival on TV, not in Atlanta but near NY, so much fun, beautiful pics!:)

    I have Spanakopita in my blog, made t last year for Xmas, kids love it.

    http://foodieshope.blogspot.com/2006/12/party-hors-
    doeuvresappetizers.html

    Saganaki, I would love to try, looks yum!

    My last post today, see you in Sept!:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures...glad you had a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey festiwal pics are nice dear. Namratha u must have enjoyed a lot:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, Looks good... I LOVE Greek food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a great holiday.. Lovely food and lovely pics..Thanks for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin