Pound Cake

The past few days have been pretty laid back with only a handful of cooking orders, which has given me a chance to try new stuff and give more time to blogging. I do have my fingers in a lot of pies now, so any time I get off from one, is definitely a boon.


Ever since a friend gifted me Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking From My Home to Yours”, I have been eyeing a lot of goodies to try, but had never gotten a chance to or should I say haven’t had the time to. One such is the Pound Cake; it’s as simple as a cake can get.




This soft, tight crumbed cake is good on its own or with ice-cream and fruit. I prefer eating a plain slice just the way it is. The outer slightly crisp crust is absolutely delicious.



You will need:


2 cups All-purpose flour

1 tsp Baking powder

¼ tsp Salt

1 cup Sugar

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp

4 eggs, at room temp

1 tsp Vanilla extract


Centre a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 325F.


Butter a 9 x 5” loaf pan. Place on a baking sheet.


Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Cream butter and sugar in another bowl on high speed for 5 minutes, till light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add one egg at a time. Beat 1-2 minutes after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.


Turn the speed to low, and add the flour little at a time, just until incorporated. Do not overmix it. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Place in the centre of the rack in oven and bake for 70-75 minutes. The cake is done when a knife inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.



Remove from oven and transfer loaf pan to a rack. Let rest for 30 minutes, and then invert onto rack. Cool completely before slicing and storing.


Slicing: Slice it with a long serrated knife using a sawing motion. You can slice it thin or thick depending on what you are using it for.




Storing: Wrap the pound cake tightly with cling wrap and let sit on your kitchen counter. This tastes better the longer it sits. If wrapped well, the cake will hold good for 5-7 days at room temperature.



I know what I will be snacking on for a few evenings to come ;)


23 comments:

  1. WOw thats a perfect pound cake Nams..I love these cakes which are available in Bangalore bakeries...
    Hey Nams Chk out the Ingredients,SUgar quantity is not mentioned dear..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this once (even though it had copious amounts of butter!) and it turned out quite dense but without the hard brown crust that yours has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I tried Vanilla pound cake at home long time back. I just love vanilla flavor in any form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book and i just adore the book all the recipes are so good and easy explanations.
    Love pund cake and looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still got to get my copy of Baking "From My Home to Yours", the book have get reviews and almost all recipes i have seen looks awesome, the cake has baked beautifully, love those perfect cut slices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it extremely heavy- so usually don't make it. I don't want to become like that cake :P Yours look very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the cake looks so heavenly ! feel like taking a greedy bite !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cake looks so crumbly and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Prathibha, thanks for spotting it, I've updated the recipe. :)

    @ Nags, it probably turned out dense because you might not have creamed the butter and sugar enough. That is very key since that is what makes the cake light and airy.Try it again, I'm sure it will turn out great! :)

    Glad to know Sonu :)

    It is one awesome book right? I love it too H!

    Thanks Parita, you should get yourself a copy asap...its awesome!

    LOL SJ, I hear ya! Cream the sugar and butter very well, when you scrape down the sides, the mixture shouldn't offer any resistance, then you know its airy and well beaten. That will make your cake super light. Try it!

    Hehe Pooja, grab a slice ;)

    Thanks Smitha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sure is one perfect pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks absolutely gorgeous! I am so trying out this pound cake as it's so versatile with all the summer fruits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds pretty easy. Havent tried pound cakes. Will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake looks heavenly! I love pound cake and yours look perfect! Just what I love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. pound cake is like the most simplesst but the most awesomest cake!! it just looks soo heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderfully rich and buttery, Namratha! And that crust looks pefect.
    I see you had it with your strawberry jam.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. TRIED IT! It super tasty- half is gone already! Gym guy will be the happiest now :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey Namratha ...since the day i saw the cake recipe here i have been dreaming heavily about it.. so all set yesterday i tried these.. they came out superb !
    i have posted it in my blog
    http://poojas-kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/pound-cake.html
    with a link back here
    i have one doubt whatt do u mean by 2 sticks of butter ?
    i added 100 gms and it came out good
    sorry for the silly quest .
    do pay a visit to my cake ! he he he

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nams...I am thinking of making this and carry it for my trip next week.But My mom does not eat eggs..But I want to surprise her with this cake..So It would be greaat if you can suggest me how to turn this to Eggless version..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, first time here. I just finished eating one large store bought pound cake. Yet, craving for one after seeing yours. Glad to be here and am having you on my blog-roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Rosie.

    Sure do Kalai! :)

    Let me know how it turns out Divya..

    Thanks Pooja :)

    Thanks T!! Good to see you here after a loooong time :) Yup had it with the strawberry jam, it rocked! :D

    Yaay SJ, glad you tried it and liked it too...it wasn't dense right? LOL @ gym guy...

    Hey Pooja good to know you tried it, will head over to your blog. Each stick of butter is 113 gms approx. So you should have used double that quantity. 100 gms is too less. Add more next time and the cake will be more lighter and moister.

    Prathibha, I wish I could help you with that, but I can't. I am not a big fan of eggless cakes, and haven't had much success with eggless cakes either. Maybe you can google to check if there is an eggless pound cake version out there.

    My Experiments, thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks so perfect and nice clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pound Cake is really one of the most satisfying things when ones to have a bit of sweet. I was fortunate, a friend of mine just dropped off a piece of pound cake she made which included splashes of rum, dollops of sour cream and minced pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simple yet delicious cake.....they look mouthwatering

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin