Khasta Puri and Channe Jaisalmer Ke

It’s well past the deadline and I was still scrambling to make something for this month’s RCI, featuring Rajasthani Cuisine. I emailed a friend asking her for Rajasthani recipes and she gave me three, all of which required some additional shopping to the pantry or the refrigerator. So I decided to look online and try the first few dishes which appealed to me, and I came across Khasta Puris and Jaisalmer ki Chane. I was waiting to use a packet of black chana which has been sitting in my pantry for quite sometime now, fortunately I found very good use for it.

Channe Jaisalmer Ke

You will need:

1 cup Black Channa (Chickpeas)
3 tbsp Ghee
3 Green Cardamoms
4 Cloves
1 inch pc Cinnamon
1 tsp Cumin seeds
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 onion chopped
½ tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Chaat Masala powder
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
2 tsp Corriander powder
Salt to taste
3-4 Green chillies chopped
1 ½ cups Yoghurt (plain)
2 tbsp Besan (gram flour)


Soak the black channa in water overnight. Drain and pressure cook the next day with sufficient water till cooked through. Drain and set aside.

Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon. When the cumin begins to splutter, add the chopped onions and chopped green chillies. Saute till onions are soft and transparent.

In a medium bowl, blend the yoghurt, besan,chilli powder, garam masala, chaat masala and turmeric. Make a smooth paste.

Add this to the pan and mix well. Add a cup of water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and let simmer for a minute. Add the boiled, drained black channa. Season with salt. Bring to a simmering boil, add water if required. Serve hot with Khasta Puris.


Khasta Puris

You will need:

1 Cup Maida (All purpose Flour)
1 tsp Ajwain
3 tsbp Oil
Salt to taste
Water as required
Oil for deep frying

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, ajwain, oil and water as required to make a soft dough. Cover and let sit for an hour.

Roll out into pooris and deep fry till light brown on each side. Drain excess oil on paper towels and serve hot with Channa.

This is my contribution to RCI:Rajasthan hosted by Padma of Spicy Andhra.


27 comments:

  1. The puris and black channa looks great together, now i know what to do with rest of my black channa too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The puri-chana combination rocksss,nice recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great combo Namratha.Love the color of the puri

    ReplyDelete
  4. these chane sound simple and delicious. will be trying soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Namrata.... Looks so tempting.... love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!.... That was a YUMMY combo....My fav. looks great Namrata..

    ReplyDelete
  7. though late..we wouldn't have wanted to miss this lovely delight!..and hey send me those puris for roti mela ok!...and many more too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! Loved the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Can;t wait to try it :-)

    smita

    ReplyDelete
  10. The puris look good....and so does the curry...

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice combo... like d color of d puri

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 20, 2008

    Wow...this looks so yummy! Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep delicious, yummmmmm :))) my neighbour (Dadiji) made this dish and i also mention that its very similar too jaisalmer chana curry. love ur khasta puri!!!!

    sorry if spel mistake coz my keyboard nt wrkin; well :((

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Namratha, thanks for the warm welcome... The Rajasthani feast looks mouthwatering - great entry. That channa recipe looks lovely and puris... esp. with maida - i'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats a yummy combo

    ReplyDelete
  16. When i try to make a curry with yoghurt, the yoghurt always seems to break, and instead of getting a creamy gravy, i end up with a watery dish, with lots of white dots. do you have any suggestions for avoiding this? Any particular brand of yoghurt?

    ReplyDelete
  17. the khasta poori and chane curry is a deadly combo Namratha..Nice feast!

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I want some of these right now! YUMMO!! Great Sunday brunch!:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so good...I love the different combos of pooris and beans...lovely recipes. Thanks.

    cheers,trupti
    the spice who loved me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another recipe I have to bookmark and try soon!!! You are making me soooo hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Came here to tell you that I tried Khara biscuits y'day and was SO yummy! Just like Iyengar bakery stuff. I will link next week, thanks for posting.
    I added crushed Jeera, Sesame seeds, few Ajwain to it for more taste.
    One problem: I needed to add almost 2 cups of flour(instead of just 1 cup as in the recipe) to 3/4 cup Crisco to roll out the dough, which came out very well in the end!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!! i am drooling here...

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW looks so good - great entry :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my god this is truly a feast.I am sure this list of ingredients in channa curry would be tasting divine.it is my family's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Suman :)

    Thanks Cham, go ahead and make this curry :D

    Thanks Hetal :)

    Thanks Kamala :)

    Thanks Delhibelle :) Pleasure to have you over.

    Thanks Shubha :)

    Thanks Sukanya :)

    Thanks Valli dear, hey we can send in puris too....I thought it was only Rotis :)

    Thanks Meera :)

    Thanks Smita :)

    Thanks Jayashree :)

    Thanks Swati :)

    Thanks Homecooked :)

    Thanks Madhavi :)

    Thanks Laavi dear, my pleasure :)

    Thanks E:)

    Lazyblogger, whenever you add yoghurt its important that you don't boil the curry. This could lead to the yoghurt breaking. Make sure when u add the yoghurt, only simmer and don't over boil. Hope this helps. I use regular plain yoghurt, no particular brand.

    Thanks Siri :)

    Thanks Asha, come on over we'll share :D

    Thanks Trupti :)

    Do try it Meeso :)

    Glad you tried the biscuits Asha, oh really? I wonder why you need so much more flour? It should have been sufficient with the given measurements. But anyways, it came out well, that's all that matters :)

    :D R!

    Thanks Rosie:)

    Thanks Pearls :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nam, its everything included...so send in your pooris...:)..

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin