Caramel Custard


This is my grandpa's (my mom's dad) favourite dessert. He has been Diabetic for a very long time, and is very strict about what he eats. The only 'sweet' stuff he will ever eat is the Caramel Custard. He likes the bitterness from the caramelized sugar and the not so sweetness from the custard.


Grandpa - Thatha but I fondly call him Thathi :D; is always all praises for anyone who can serve him a good tasting Caramel Custard. So when I was in India this time, I gave it a try at mom's place, where grandpa was visiting us from Bangalore. My granny was there too, she preferred to watch us doing this ...and by us I mean my mom, my bro and myself. It did look like too many cooks would spoil the broth, but thankfully it turned out perfect...Thatha's verdict! :)



You will need:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

3 cups milk, boiled and hot

4 beaten eggs

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

Lightly butter 6 custard cups/ porcelain ramekins. Preheat oven to 325 F.

Melt 1/4 cup of sugar in a small heavy pan, stirring constantly, until the sugar turns a golden brown; at this point you can decide if you want the caramel to be sweet or bitter. If you want it to be bitter, then continue heating till the sugar syrup turns a nice amber colour. Pour immediately into prepared custard cups.

Add a small amount of the hot milk to beaten eggs in a slow stream, stirring briskly. Make sure you do this quickly otherwise you will land up with scrambled eggs, we don't want that!!

Now you can add remaining milk; add 1/4 cup sugar and the vanilla, blend well. Pour mixture into custard cups. Set cups in a large, shallow baking pan in the oven. Pour hot water into the large baking pan to a depth of about 1 inch.

Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Unmold into shallow dessert dishes or plates with an edge, to serve.

This was easy and a winner, now Grandpa tells his friends that I can make good Caramel Custard too ;)

15 comments:

  1. i have only made this out of a box so been looking for a good easy recipe. bookmarked yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this just looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the taste of Caramel too..Greal Custard..

    ReplyDelete
  4. caramel custard looks too good!!! I used make this quite often since its my daughter's fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like making the flan was a family affiare, i love when one is in the kitchen with family back home ,one can catch up with all the gossips.
    I too love this dessert, si smooth silky and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you are becoming such an expert in making dessert. That custard looks perfect, like restaurant. good job sweetie! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caramel custard looks so good Namratha.. I do not even need a spoon, i can eat it with my eyes! My mom used to make it long ago in a pressure cooker if i remember right! But it has been ages since. A must-give-it-a-try.. though I am pretty skeptical about getting the caramel part of it right! failed i-do-not-know-how-many-times making caramel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so tempting with custard overflowed everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that Nags, try it soon! :)

    Thanks Superchef!

    Thanks Lavi :) Good to see you here after a long time..

    Thanks Poonam, nice to know your daughter is a fan of this dessert too :)

    It sure was H, and yup couldn't agree more....though this doesn't take much time, we were talking and laughing and took our own sweet time. It was fun no doubt! :)

    Thanks Asha dearrrr! :)

    Haha, thanks Smitha! Hey ya, I've heard about this being made in the pressure cooker too, I haven't tried it though. Hmm, I understand the trouble with caramel, trust me I had to do it a lotttt of times before getting it right! Don't give up just yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely! you got it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Custard looks so good. Nice recipe. Turned out perfect for u.... YUM!. Lovely color...

    ReplyDelete
  12. my fav fav fav absolutely fav dessert anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. grandpa would be totally proud of you!!..tat does loohk good...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made this only a few times before... yours has turned out perfect and it must be such a delight to know that your thaatha loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin