Jackfruit Halwa

I have been away vacationing in Vegas and sunny California, got back on Monday. But since we were gone for almost a week, it took me just about a week to get into the rigmarole of life. My customers were waiting eagerly for my return, so it was back to work for me right away. The trip was very refreshing and I will surely write more on that later.

If there is one fresh fruit that I missed incessantly here is Jackfruit…up until a few days back when I discovered (yeah, with a triumph!) that fresh jackfruit is very much available here as well. Back home, eating fresh jackfruit was almost a daily ritual when the fruit was in season. Dad would often buy the peeled, ready to eat fruit; on his way back home from morning work. We always wolved it down like there was no tomorrow!

Our local Farmers Market was selling fresh jackfruit, whole as well as halved. I bought a halved chunk, wondering all the way to the cashier, if I would be able to peel it and lay my hands on the juicy fruit within. In the end I finally decided to risk the peeling part and bought it. I must say it is a task best left to the roadside vendors who do it so effortlessly (or so it seems). After a sticky ordeal which seemed eternal, I was able to beam at my prized pieces of fresh, juicy fruit. These pieces were so sweet I can’t even begin to tell you how good they tasted.




Hubby is not a big stickler for fruit so I had almost all of it to myself…having gorged on half the pieces; I remembered Ajji (grandma) used to make a halwa out of jackfruit. It’s a simple aromatic sweet dish.

Jackfruit Halwa:


You will need:

1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Cashew bits
1 tsp Raisins
1 cup fresh jackfruit, cut into small bits
2 tbsp fresh grated Coconut
½ tsp Cardamom powder
1 tbsp Sugar (only if fruit is not naturally sweet)

Heat ghee in a pan and add the cashew and raisins. Fry till light brown. To this add the chopped jackfruit. Fry for 3 minutes, till jackfruit loses its colour slightly and becomes a little mushy. At this point stir in the sugar only if needed. The fruit I had on hand was very sweet on its own, so I didn’t use any sugar. Add the coconut and cardamom, fry till fragrant, another minute. This can be served hot, chilled or at room temperature.


I spoke to Ajji right before I made the halwa to make sure this is how she made it and she gave me a whole list of other dishes that could be made using Jackfruit. I am yet to try them – provided this batch of jackfruit lasts long enough.

20 comments:

  1. Wow..never made halwa using jackfruit..looks delicious, thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. first time here.. u have a great blog & innovative recipes.. nice clicks.. halwa looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, that looks so delicious! I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never made this halwa....Looking extremely good...loved the color of it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love halasina hannina halwa, looks so yumm Namratha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love halasina haNNU:-) we do get fresh ones here too !!
    always made rasayaNa of it.. but halwa is new, will try the next time i get the fruit!!thanks nams:)

    btw, reg the peeling part.. its very easy if u apply some coconut or any oil onto ur palms.. avoids the stickyness!!
    dad always got the whole fruit and we all used to sit down to peel.. mom used to keep a bowl to collect the fruit.. but nothing went into the bowl.. everything ended up in our tummies hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicous halwa, but i would really like to get hold of that hackfruit pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Halwa looks divine and yummy!! havent seen jackfruits here yet!!! Hope you had a great vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackfruit halwa looks truly scrumptious.Can this be made with canned one ? ....cant wait to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have thought that halwa can be made with jackfruit. You are too good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'd finish off any dessert made with jackfruit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Jackfruit halwa does sound nice :) And looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! you get jackfruit there!! Awesome!! Never heard of jackfruit halwa before.. looks good.. only knew about the dosa and rasayana.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hats off to you for actually cutting and peeling a jackfruit !! I love jackfruit...this halwa sounds great !

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this dish..even we make a similar one in Kerala called 'chakka varatti"..it was always a big hit in my hostel whenever i took it back with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow halwa with jackfruit.....great idea....looks so yummy nd colourful...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never thought of halwa, we can finnish the whole fruit right away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow ur jackfruit halwa is simply amazing and also simple.It must be very delicious. You can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments

    ReplyDelete
  19. incidentally, I just found shop selling Jackfruit and brought ripe half home. Cooked according to your recipe but l ended up using some water t soften Jackfruit as it did not become mushy despite good deal of frying. Probably a different variety of Jackfruit. Halwa tasted good, but it lost that banana fragrance in the cooking process and had this weird fragrance instead. I am not too crazy about this halwa , based on my experience.
    It is easier to eat, in comparison to fresh pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin