Restaurant-style Green Peas(Mattar) curry


Cooking was never an imperative part of my life while growing up. Though I was constantly surrounded by food and restaurateur parents, I was not very keen on learning to cook. I’ve probably cooked a whole lot in the past two years than I have in my entire adult life!

Now that I think back, I wish I had paid more attention to mom’s words of cooking wisdom and her excellent recipes. If I had, then I probably would have discovered my passion for cooking much sooner. As they say, better late than never, I am still grateful I can ask mom for recipes and savor them here, thousands of miles away. One dish mom made often and exceptionally well was the Green Peas(Mattar) Curry. This curry also happens to be my Dad’s favourite and he never failed to order this when we ate out. He could polish off an entire dish of the curry with no accompaniments whatsoever!The same happened when mom made it at home too.



The other day, I was struck with this overwhelming nostalgia of Dad's f'inger licking' favourite, literally. I just had to make this curry to feel better :) I'm glad I did, this was a feast to the taste buds as well as a wonderful trip down memory lane.


You will need:


2 Cups Fresh Green peas, boiled

½ cup Onion paste (raw)

1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste

1 ½ cups Tomato puree (Made from about 3 large tomatoes)

3 tbsp Cashew bits, soaked and ground to a smooth paste

¼ cup heavy whipping cream

2 tbsp Oil

2 Whole cloves

2 Whole cardamom pods

1 inch piece Cinnamon

¼ tsp Turmeric powder

2 tsp Corriander powder

1 tsp Cumin powder

1 tsp Cayenne ( Hot chilli powder)

2 tsp Paprika ( Mild chilli powder)

½ tsp Garam masala

2 tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves, crushed

Salt to taste



Heat oil in a pan. Add the whole cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Add the ginger garlic paste and onion paste. Fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Now add the turmeric, coriander and cumin powders, garam masala, cayenne and paprika. Also stir in the prepared tomato puree. Saute on low heat for 10 minutes. This thickens the gravy and helps the flavours blend well.


Season with salt and add the dried fenugreek leaves. Stir in the cashew paste and cream. Combine well and bring to a boil. Adjust seasonings if required and turn off heat.


This curry goes great with Butter Naans or plain rotis/chapathis.

19 comments:

  1. What a rich gravy!It looks yumm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect and healthy peas curry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nam, I totally agree here...it's better later than never!
    Your Mattar curry looks so tempting...seriously. It reminds me my hostel canteen...they served so mouthwatering Matter Curry...You have served exactly what I had a picture in my mind. :)
    Bookmarked! Will make it soon...pakka....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm that indeed looks like restaurant style one...looks super yummy n colorful..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure bookmarking to make this, looks really restraunt style and so so delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nam, I couldn't wait to try it today...I just made this curry today dinner. Came out awesome and creamier. We totally relished to it. Thanks for sharing this recipe.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nams, at what point are boiled peas added, probably the last stage? The dish looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, this one has been bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this dish this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gravy looks rich and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nams,
    This was fantastic n followed the exact recipe, it was just loved by all, but moreso..my kids lapped it up! (Fussy younger one, also asked for huge bites of them!) Glad I chose this recipe! Keeper! THANKYOU so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had this with pooris last night. Like all your other dishes this too was 'finger lickin good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. peas curry looks rich and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. peas are awesome no matter what dish they are in. The curry looks delicious and your pics are getting better by the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Namratha, Your blog is a treat for the eyes, with a wonderful collection of recipe! Please accept 'One Lovely Blog Award' from me at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hummmm yummyyyyy matter curry!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nams...i tired it too, it came out so well. thanks for posting it :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. rHey amazing recipe...

    I have no clue about cooking, but I need to cook being far away from my mom.

    Well this is my favorite dish and I'm glad i found your recipe. I tried it and it was great..thanks a lot

    Vishnu Raghav

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Namratha, I have lost how many times I have had it! Today I have posted your curry in my blog. Check it when you feel free. Thanks for awesome recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin