Crowder Peas curry

I was rummaging through my over laden freezer a couple of days ago trying to find a pack of black eyed peas which I had picked up recently. Instead I found a pack of frozen Crowder Peas, which of course I had no idea I had bought like the n number of other things that are in my refrigerator and freezer. Shame on me I know, maybe I will make a resolution to use up everything and buy things more consciously. Maybe....

Ok, on to the Crowder Peas. I went ahead and made a curry, starting off with the usual favorites, onions and garlic..and then on to the spice powders and seasonings and then a splash of coconut milk, just because I had some of that leftover from another dish. And voila..Crowder Peas curry waiting to be devoured by two hungry souls.


What are Crowder Peas you ask? They are also known as Cowpeas and almost look like Black eyed Peas, but are not. I was probably tricked by the look of it and bought it without looking at the name. Anyways, they tasted good, me happy and so was my curry.

You will need:

1 cup Crowder peas
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Few Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp Corriander powder
½ tbsp Cumin powder
½ tsp Red chilli powder (hot)
1 tbsp Oil
1 cup Water
3 tbsp Lite coconut milk
Salt to taste


Boil Crowder Peas in a pot of water till soft and done. Drain and reserve.

Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When it begins to splutter add the curry leaves and sliced onion and minced garlic. Saute till the onions are soft and translucent. Now add the chopped tomatoes and let cook completely, about 3-5 minutes. Add the coriander cumin and red chilli powders. Stir and sauté for a few minutes.


Season with salt and then add the cup of water and the crowder peas. Bring to a simmering boil. Add the coconut milk, boil for a minute and then turn off heat. Garnish with chopped coriander.



8 comments:

  1. Havent heard of this peas..but curry looks gud. To me it looks like thatapayir :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can u please explain to me what is crowder peas? It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Namratha,

    The curry looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicous looking curry, love the whole plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wats this peas?it looks like black urad dal for me.but curry looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Namratha,

    I love your blog. I like the authentic Karnataka foods that you post. Should try this dish out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is something new! what is it called in Kannada?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks soooo tasty! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin