Spicy Egg Curry


The hubby and I both love eggs and we try to incorporate them into our weekly intake whenever possible. A few weeks ago a friend had me over for lunch and had made an Egg curry.I loved how it tasted and was definitely different from any of the egg curries I had tasted before. She had briefly told me how she had made it and I had made a mental note of the recipe with hopes of trying to recreate the same dish in future.


There are as many versions of Egg Curry as there are cooks that make it. It was a simple recipe, and I added a few more ingredients and came up with my own version. The main seasoning in this dish is Garam Masala. This is a fragrant spice blend which adds zing to any dish. Typically this is added in the end so that it retains its aroma and flavorful kick.

You will need:

4 Eggs, hard boiled and shelled
2 Red Onions, thinly sliced

6-8 Curry leaves 1 Tomato, chopped
1 tbsp Oil

1 tsp Mustard seeds

¼ tsp Turmeric powder
3 tsp Garam Masala

1 tsp Corriander powder

½ tsp Cumin powder
Salt to taste

Chopped cilantro

Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the mustard seeds and when it begins to splutter add the curry leaves and sliced onions. Saute on medium heat till onions are soft and translucent. Add the coriander, cumin and turmeric powders. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add the tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are soft.



Add ½ cup of water and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and add the garam masala. Simmer for a minute more and then add the hard boiled eggs cut in half lengthwise. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for ten minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.



We had this with whole wheat chapathis...needless to say, this flavorful egg curry was gone in minutes.


14 comments:

  1. Spicy egg curry sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy egg curry and fab presentation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slurpppp!!terrific spicy egg curry, feel like having some..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that egg curry looks so so drooley delicous. I neve rmake egg curry as hubby and daughter don't like it. Wish i had this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour of the gravy looks amazing.Simple but mouth watering recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's comfort in a bowl right there. I like the way you presented the chapati held in place by a toothpick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are also big fan of eggs.. and this recipe is very simple.. and it looks really good too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love egg curries and have been meaning to make one soon. This version sounds and looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make this for dinner last night and hubby liked it so much, there are no leftovers remaining! I like the presentation of the chappatis with the toothpick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have printed the recipe to make it tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum i love egg curry. this is a great variation as I usually make egg curry with coconut. thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very yummy and delectable!!! Mouthwatering!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a regular favorite. Thanks Nams :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Namratha,

    Thank you so much for posting such wonderful recipes. I have been following your blog for quite sometime now and trying out the recipes. All dishes turn out great!!! :) I tried this dish today, somehow the garam masala that I used was not that great! I used Everest garam masala, could you tell me what garam masala do you usually use for all your recipes? That would be good to know, I can get the same brand!!! ;) ;) Anyways, I tried Menthyal miriyal gojju yesterday, it was simply superb!!! Reminded me of my mom's cooking :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin