Celebration time again-- Black Forest Cake






This time in celebration of my hubby dear’s birthday yesterday. He really isn’t into birthdays but because of me he sorta celebrates it..hehe! I of course seized the opportunity to bake him a cake, his favourite and mine too, Black Forest Cake.

When my mom used to make it when I was a kid, it was like a special treat. She of course kept the cake in the refrigerator and as I passed by every now and then, I would take a peek and of course grab a piece..before mom knew it, the cake was all gone!


This again was my first shot at making Black Forest Cake, and I’m really glad it turned out well.

You will need:

For the Cake: (Makes two 9” size cakes)

2 cups All purpose flour plus more for pans

1 ¾ Cups Confectioner’s sugar (Powdered Sugar)

6 Eggs

2 tsp Baking powder

2 tbsp Cocoa powder

1 tsp Vanilla Extract


For the Filling:

1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream

½ cup Confectioner’s sugar

Maraschino Cherries (or canned cherries,drained)


For the syrup:

1 tbsp lime juice

½ tbsp Sugar

3/4 cup Water



Preheat oven to 300F.


Separate the white from the yolks. Beat each separately adding vanilla extract and little sugar at a time to make a stiff froth. Fold yellow into white. Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder thrice and fold into the egg mixture.


FOLD: Means to slowly turn dry ingredients into the wet in a circular inward to outward motion. Do not beat or mix vigorously. The main purpose of folding is to allow more air into the mixture and also to avoid flattening the frothy eggs.



Divide batter between prepared pans. This makes a thin cake, if you want it thicker then use 8-inch pans. Bake for 30 minutes till cake is done and springs back on touching or a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.


Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn onto cooling racks. Let cool completely.


Chill the electric beater blades and the bowl in which you will use to whip the cream. Whip cream while slowly adding sugar till it doubles in volume and is of a spreadable consistency. Do not overbeat, it turns to butter!


Mix lime juice, sugar and water in a bowl. Stir till sugar dissolves. Place one cake over a cake pedestal or plate, poke holes with a fork in a few places on the cake. Pour the syrup all over the cake in a spoon, till cake is moist (but not soggy). Spread an even layer of the cream, and place cut cherries. Place the other cake on top of this and repeat the moistening procedure. Again spread a even thick layer of cream, decorate with cherries and grated dark chocolate.



Chill before serving and refrigerate remaining cake (if there's any left!)



39 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to him! I don't want to celebrate my birthdays anymore either!!;D
    Cake looks fabulous. I had a small round electric oven in India which I used but my mom NEVER baked a thing in her life!:D
    Enjoy. I am baking a cake for Halloween too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black-forest cake... yours looks pretty. Birthday wishes to your husband.. yday was my FIL's bday too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nams....My wishes to ur husband.....dil-khush ho gaye honge seeing ur cake.....Looks fabulous dear.......Bookmarked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishes to your hubby and thx for this wonderful treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6 eggs and all that whipping cream!! I can only imagine how rich and fluffy that cake must have been...truly a B'day treat! nice one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 eggs and all that whipping cream!! I can only imagine how rich and fluffy that cake must have been...truly a B'day treat! nice one:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Asha, looking forward to your cake! :)

    Thanks Lavaanya, wishes to your FIL:)

    Thanks Siri dear,he sure was happy, he loved the cake too!:)

    Thanks Rina:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mansi, it was very fluffy and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. belated birthday wishes to ur hubby namratha...and you have never baked this cake!! you are good girl..have a natural talent for it :)..i used to love black-forest cake too..after giving up eggs...i am yet to eat one, seeing ur post is making me want to veganise it..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rajitha, if I lie something I guess nothing stops me..hehe! Hmm veganise it...well I don't know how that will turn out, since this has no butter, eggs are the only wet ingredient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cake looks so fabulous. Happy b'day to ur hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated b'day to your hubby...and that's a gorgeous looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your H...and that was a very beautiful cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. b'day wishes to ur hubby and the cake looks sinfully delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cake looks so lovely, guess you hubby had a nice B'day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to ur hubby. Cake looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow. i don't blame you for peeking in the fridge and gobbling it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cake looks gorgeous! and this is ur first time making it?
    Bealted wishes to your husband.
    It looks so moist and rich...wish I could have that slice.
    Did I tell u before? I too have the same plates:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks sharmi dear, Sunita, Meeso, Sia, Madhu and Pushpa for you wishes and compliments...hubby dearest is all on Cloud 9 with so many ladies wishing him..hehe! :-D

    Thanks Bee!!

    Thanks a lot TBC, yup this is the first time I tried my hand at my fav cake :) Always ate store bought before!! And no, you didn't tell me...when did you steal my plates?! ;-D hehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey, cake looks awesome, such a fav :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. that black forest cake looks bsolutely gorgeous - and so petite - i'll ask amma to take a look - she loves black forest

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks great...I love black forest so I bake my own eggless one...Wish your hubby many happy returns of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow.. that looks sinfully delicious :)
    Wish you hubby many happy returns o the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks so lovely :) hope you both had a nice celebration :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. delicious way to celebrate!! pics look r8. im sure u had a gr8 time eatin it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. like my 2 yr old fren Aanya says.."yummy yummy in my tummy" it looks yummoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Richa! :)

    Do tell your mom Lakshmi, I'm sure she will love it too :)

    Hey eggless version, that's gr8 Sri, do share your recipe too:)

    Thanks Cinnamon and Nags,hubby sure did have a lovely bday:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. There's nothing left of it Swaroopa, hehe!

    Hehe..thanks Suman...that's a very cute way to say it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i just love black forest cake i also make this cake 3 days back it came out very nice

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's great Sagari, thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow namratha the cake looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. black forest cake is one of my favourite cakes too but unfortunately I still have to learn ,start baking ...coz mother dont bake like your lovely mother...!!!
    Your cake looks ...Finger licking namratha..

    ReplyDelete
  33. My wishes to your husband.
    Cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I drool over black forest cakes....
    a temptation that I give into always!!!
    nice looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Roopa:)

    Thanks Raks, you should try baking, trust me its not as hard as it seems:)

    Thanks Suma:)

    Thanks Rachel, glad to have you over:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Namratha. Myself Sona.. Havent tried Cakes till now.. please let me know what vessel i can use to bake them.. Aluminum container in grocery stores will do? i too have a recipe blog http://masala-wok.blogspot.com/ please visit.. Free to leave comments. I am also a member of Kannada homemakers in orkut

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Namrata,

    I didn't find whipping cream here in india(Banglore). do you have any idea
    where can I get it?

    Thanks,
    Neethu

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Neethu, you can find whipping cream in Nilgiris or in any big departmental store. You get both the Nilgiris brand as well as Amul brand of heavy cream. Check in the refrigerated section.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi,

    I have been looking at your cakes and have been awestruck. They are amazing. I just wanted to know the procedure for spreading the cream on the cake as it gives the cake a very complete finish. I would really appreciate of you could post some photographs of how to do that.

    Look forward to hearing from you.

    Cheers,
    Taru

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin