Pav Bhaji -- a Finger Licking treat ..


Just the mention of Pav bhaji brings to mind rows and rows of roadside Pav Bhaji vendors, the mouth watering aroma of spicy bhaji and buttered Pav...hmmmmm.....ok back to reality! :)

Pav Bhaji (also transliterated as
pao bhaji and pau bhaji) is a fast food dish native to Maharashtra and popular in most metros in India. In Marathi pav means bread (the term derives from the Portuguese "pão") and bhaji means a curry and vegetable mix. The serving of pav bhaji consists of the bhaji (a potato based curry) and the pav (bread) garnished with coriander and chopped onions. Pav is a meat-less dish, which is high in carbohydrates and fats (if served with butter) and bhaji is high in carbohydrates and proteins.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Pav Bhaji is a finger licking evening snack or full meal by itself. Not only is it fulfilling but a hot favourite too! When I first came here I had a hard time finding “Pav” and had to make do with good ol’ buns but later found “pavs” which are called Dinner Rolls here. Yesterday when I went to buy Pav/Dinner Rolls, unfortunately the store I went to were out of it so had to make do with the buns again! They taste just as good so no regrets :)

You will need:

½ cup finely chopped Carrots

½ cup finely chopped Green beans

½ cup Green peas

½ cup finely chopped Cabbage

½ cup finely chopped Green Bell peppers

1 large Potato boiled

2 Tomatoes chopped

1 Onion finely chopped

1 ½ tbsps Pav Bhaji Masala powder

1 tsp Red chilli powder (optional)

Salt to taste

Butter

Chopped Corriander

1 tbsp Lime juice or lime pieces














Boil the carrots, green beans, peas, cabbage and bell peppers. Heat 2 tbsps of Butter in a skillet and add the chopped onions. Sauté till onions are soft and completely done. Add the chopped tomatoes, pav bhaji masala and chilli powder. Sauté till tomatoes are soft. Now add the boiled veggies(including potato), salt and ½ cup water. Mash with the help of a potato masher and blend all ingredients well. Bring to a simmering boil. Add more water if required. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with pav.














Butter the buns and toast them on a pan. Serve these alongside hot bhaji, drizzled with lime juice or along with lemon pieces. Also garnish with additional chopped onions.


It sure was finger licking good!! :)



32 comments:

  1. wow i am teh first one here ...Narmatha this is so tasty that i feel like scooping some with a pav and eating it write away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namrata this looks sooo good, mouthwatering delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. many times I have eaten this for dinner :) but havent found any good restaurant which can match the roadside pavbhaji standards ;)US toh dont even ask...

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!!!! pav bhajji is one of my fav northindian dish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at those pics my mouth is watering. I prefer road side stands better than restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, off course Pav Bhajji is always finger clicking. And why not when it is made this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking at ur pav bhaji is making me plan tonite's dinner with....:)
    it is such a likeable street food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bindiya!:) Nice to have you over..

    Couldn't agree more Suman, no way are you gonna get good ol' roadside pav bhaji here..gotta make do with what we make at home :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Remya!:)

    Me too Madhu, would love to stand and eat outside, somehow everything tastes better that way..hehe

    Thanks Rina:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm so Richa is having Pav bhaji tonight..look out for me, might just give you a surprise visit!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love putting the bhaji in bread and making grilled sandwiches. yours looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pav bhaji - tastes good and is easy to make. Yours looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks so good! have to make them sometime. it long time since I made them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite too, I am going make it for Sunday lunch.I love MDH Pav Bhaji for mine!:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep...I'll take a plate of that, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Bee, that's exactly what I'm doing with the left over Bhaji :)

    Thanks Lavaanya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sharmi:)

    I use MDH too Asha:)

    Haha, sure Meeso...it's all yours:-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good. Now I feel like making PB for our brunch tomorrow. Damn! I had already planned for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  19. same like TBC!! i want to make pav-bhaji tomorrow too :)..urs looks really yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  20. pav bhaji...i can have it anytime...nice one

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, looks delicious. It has been a long long time since I made this. Need to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  22. Namratha, My anytime favorite,thought I have never added cabbage before. will add it next time I make. Added you to my blogroll

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husbands favourite! I got bored with my recipe, Would love to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. namratha, you have a very good blog! the pictures are soo tempting... thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks TBC..hehe!

    Thanks Rajitha dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Easycrafts and Redchillies:)

    Thanks Sreelu, do try it with the cabbage, more wholesome bhaji:)

    Thanks Kalva:)Nice to have you over..

    Thanks Lissie, I'm glad you stopped by too:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bet it sure was finger licking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yumm Yumm...your Pav Bhaji looks so delicious...Never made this at home...shld give a try...I love North India snacks n street food...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Namratha....Pav Bhaji is one of my favs....Nice one dear....Now u made my mouth water....I have to go prepare now :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  30. It sure was Grihini:)

    Thanka Apple:)

    Thanks sirisha dear:) Do make some!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love Pav bhaji!! my version is slightly different, use cauliflower, bell pepper and tomatoes as main veges!
    Ur version also looks super!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin