Apple Cake Tatin


Tarte Tatin is an upside-down apple tart in which the apples are caramelized in butter and sugar before the tart is baked.


Tradition says that the Tarte Tatin was first created by accident at the Hotel Tatin in Lamotte-Beuvron, France. The hotel was run by two sisters, Stéphanie and Caroline Tatin. There are conflicting stories concerning the tart's origin, but the predominant one is that Stéphanie Tatin, who did most of the cooking, was overworked one day. She started to make a traditional apple pie but left the apples cooking in butter and sugar for too long. Smelling the burning, she tried to rescue the dish by putting the pastry base on top of the pain of apples, quickly finishing the cooking by putting the whole pan in the oven. After turning out the upside down tart, she was surprised to find how much the hotel guests appreciated the dessert.

Apple Cake Tatin


Apple Cake Tatin is a cake made like a Tarte Tatin, except this is a cake and not a tart. Also the apples are not sauteed but rather covered in caramel and then baked.



You will need


6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the dish
1 1/4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 12 pieces
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Generously butter a 9-inch glass pie dish and arrange the apples in the dish, cut side down.

Combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until it turns a warm amber color. Swirl the pan but don't stir. Pour evenly over the apple slices.

Meanwhile, cream the butter and the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the sour cream, zest, and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and, with the mixer on low speed, add it to the butter mixture. Mix only until combined.

Pour the cake batter evenly over the apple slices and bake for 30-40 minutes, unitl a cake tester or a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a flat plate. If an apple slice sticks, ease it out and replace it in the design on top of the cake. Serve warm or at temperature, dusted with confectioner's sugar and a scoop of Vanilla ice cream.


The not so sweet cake is complimented by the caramel topping. Dusting with confectioner's sugar just before serving makes it fancy. I also added lemon zest on top to accentuate the lemon flavour in the cake. All in all, a pleasant light dessert.

Apple Cake Tatin is my entry to "Fresh Produce of The Month: Apples" hosted by Marta of Italian in the US.

23 comments:

  1. Namratha, this looks amazingly good! I love tarte tatin, and I've never made it myself. Yours seems delicious! Thanks a lot for taking part to the event :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. apple, caramel and ice cream! yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm!! looks great. Nice to read the history too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and your very kind comments. Truly appreciated. I've added you to my feeds so that I never miss another of your delicious posts.

    Looking forward to seeing you around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love upside-down cakes... the cake looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Marta :) It's a pleasure to be a part of your event!

    Yum it is Nags :)

    Thanks Asha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you Cynthia for stopping by, will surely see you around :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lissie, this is the best upside down cake I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nammu..totally on a cooking roll bol :D..looks really good....that i am going to pack my bag and come to atlanta for a vacation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Namratha..that is absolutely mouthwatering and I even love the name! Thanks for this beautiful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow! This sounds really good! Apples and caramel and oh so much goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow never made tatin.. yours look so delicious dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely desset namratha looks so yummy and wonderfull combo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, sure do come Rajitha, you are always welcome :)

    Thanks Lavi, I'm glad you like it :)

    :) Meeso, you should try this..you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kalva and Sagari :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that tatin story, always makes me laugh!

    The caramel topping is a great idea, always works so well with the flavor of apples.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks Yummy! Pass it to me, I will eat in a single mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it looks so tasty..I love apples baked..so this goes in my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. True Kay, I had a hearty laugh too! Weird how some things come into existence :-D

    Hehe, sure Raks, it's all yours :)

    Thanks Shankari, do try it, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Namratha, Love this cake. Bookmarked to try in the holidays..Looks gr8 too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very intersting idea to combine cake with Tarte Tatin -- this looks really good (particularly with the ice cream)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This Apple Cake "Tatin" recipe is EXACTLY like the one I downloaded from Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Change of plans. I couldn't get to the grocery store in time to make the Hummus & Pita. So, in the end, I made the Upside down Apple Cake. It is amazing & beautiful. I am so excited that it turned out. I'll work on the getting the post up later tonight.

    I still hope to make the hummus & pita recipe in the near future. If I'm feeling adventerous, I may try some of the other recipes you have. Although, it may require some coaching as many of the ingredients are new to me.
    Nice to be paired with you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin