'Spicy Cauliflower and Potatoes' and a meal

I recently bought a cook book titled ‘the best-ever Vegetarian Cookbook’ by Linda Fraser. This is the first cook book I’ve bought and it felt good. It’s only very recently that I’ve discovered my passion for cooking, and all this while I have been following mom’s or grandma’s recipes. I know back home my mom has a huge collection of cook books, one being a 23 book set Encyclopedia, half of which she doesn’t use because they have non-veg recipes in them. When I was back in India, I always spent time looking through these books, not because I liked to cook then, but rather the pictures and illustrations were very appealing. Mom hardly made anything from there because all of the recipes called for ounces, which was of course Greek to us! I miss those books now that I know what an ounce is!

Here’s the cook book I bought. And since it’s all vegetarian, I now have a good number of recipes to try sooner or later.

One dish I made from this book is Spicy Cauliflower and Potatoes. I’m sure each of us would have tried this combination with our own spices. This particular recipe caught my attention because the method of cooking was different and also the recipe had its own twists compared to how I usually make it.

Spicy Cauliflower and Potatoes


You will need:

2 medium potatoes cubed
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Corriander powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
¼ tsp Red chilli powder (Cayenne)
1 green chilli chopped
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cloves of Garlic, thinly shredded
3-4 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Chopped Corriander for garnish

Cook potatoes in salted boiling water till done, cubes should still hold shape. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric powders. Also add the chopped green chili. Let spices sizzle for a few seconds. Add the cauliflower florets and about ½ cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 6-8 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and remove from heat. Heat remaining oil in a smaller pan, add the cumin seeds and garlic. Saute till garlic turns light brown. Pour this over the potato cauliflower mixture. Top with chopped coriander, toss and serve.

To make this a complete meal I made two more dishes from other’s blogs.

Theeyati Chaaru from Jugalbandi


Vankaya Ullupai Pachchadi (Eggplant Onion chutney) from Veggie Platter

A complete meal --

15 comments:

  1. That is a nice meal. I love the way you have placed the rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow..That cauliflower - potato combination is looking too gud!!Nice set of meal..Hope you had a great lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potatoes can never go wrong! :) nice meal namrutha! We too make brinjal onion gothsu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great meal. Love the potato , cauliflower dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great meal that is Namratha. I tried and loved the theeyati chaaru too. The aloo-gobi looks awesome.
    I love tomato rice.. sorry i missed that that post of yours. Nice plating :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely thali that is. Love all the items. Cheeyati charu and Gobi aloo are my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Nags! :)

    Thanks Raks, we sure did enjoy the meal...was very fulfilling :)

    Thanks Happy :)

    Thanks Lavaanya, we loved the charu too...and the gobi dish is my fav :)

    Thanks Rina, good to know you are a fan too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you bought a book. we can know more recipes from your book through your blog .Can't wait to see some more good ones Namratha

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummm curry looksssss deleciousssss i love your curry with chapathiiii

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum...if all I had was Indian food for the rest of my life, I'd be OK with that :D Looks too good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its raining cauliflower in all blogs!! ur version is very very yummy!!! infact the complete meal is very appetizing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Namratha,

    I've been a regular visitor to ur blog lately and have been enjoying reading all the recipes and trying it too [i'm a beginer in cooking though ;)]....
    cant just praise u for one or two of the recipes... i'm really thankfull for the whole of ur blog...
    u just rock dear...

    Divya... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure Madhavi, I have so many more to try...will surely keep them coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sagari :)

    Hahaha, I'm glad you think that way Meeso...nice to know you love Indian food so much

    Thanks Manasi:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh thank you so much Divya, nice to hear from a fellow reader :) I'm glad you like my recipes ....now I'm on a high with your compliments! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin