Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies

"...'Tis the season to be jolly...fa la la la la la la ..."


Ever since Susan of Food Blogga announced the "Eat Christmas cookies" event, I've been truly enjoying this season.


There is so much Christmas cooking and baking all around that it is simply hard not to tie that apron and bake a few goodies myself. I hadn't baked a cookie before until I made the Butter and Jam Cookies (thumbprints). It wasn't long before I had the urge to try more cookies.


I love Ferrero Rocher chocolates, whole roasted hazelnut encased in a thin wafer shell filled with nutella/hazelnut cream and covered in milk chocolate and chopped hazelnuts...pure bliss! The combination of chocolate and hazelnuts spells only one thing for me...delicious! Hence, in my quest for a cookie recipe containing the same ingredients, I came upon this one.

Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies


You will need: (Makes 36 cookies)

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In another medium bowl combine the butter, chocolate hazelnut spread, sugar, and brown sugar. Using an electric mixer, cream the ingredients together, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Add the hazelnuts and stir until just combined.

Usins a tablespoon measure, spoon out the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet, spacing the mounds about 4 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten the cookie dough. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, about 10-12 mins. Use a metal spatula to transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an air tight container.

I decided to send the cookies to 3 of my friends living in other cities. Since I had to mail them, I couldn't do a fancy wrap, but instead packed them well in a good food container. I haven't told any of them what's coming in the mail...so it's gonna be a pleasant surprise :)

Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies is headed to "Eat Christmas Cookies" event at Food Blogga

23 comments:

  1. Awesome looking cookies Namratha...:) Happy Holidays..!

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of these cookies. Chocolate with hazelnuts is such a nice combo.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Siri :) Happy Holidays to you too!!

    Thanks TBC, it is a fab combo, do try it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hazelnuts in cookies..must be real nutty crunchy :)).. seasons greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cookie recipe in mind every single day. I just couldn't find time to bake :(. Chocolate and hazelnut is a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We adore those Ferrero Rochers :-)...and your friends are really lucky to receive those lovely cookies ...need my add? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah i love hazy and chocs. in fact told my friend to get me that combo chocs when she returns from the US :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious.
    By the way am i one of those friends :-)))) but then you said in a another city so it is not for me as i am in a another continent :-((((

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummers...nice combo..i loove cookies too...tu bilkul cookie mood mein hain :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to hear that all the cookies have inspired you, Namratha! These cookies are divine. It's only 5:30 am, and I'm already craving one! Cheers, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy cookies Namratha.I posted mine today too.
    Yes, I am back atleast for a week. Hope you are having fun!:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love hazelnuts with chocolate - unfortunately hazelnuts are one the few things i haven't been able to find in india - we get chocolates with hazelnuts though - the other nut that really wish i could lay my hands on are chestnuts -

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful cookies. the choc-hazelnut combo is truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely cookies. I liked your collection of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cookies look wonderfulllll namrathaa chocolate and nuts yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sure is crunchy Rachel, seasons greetings to you too :)

    Oh do bake them Suganya, can't wait to see your pics :)

    :) Send me your add Sunita, I've turned you down way too many times already!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's what I used to do Nags, Ferroro has been a fav since long.

    Ohh don't worry F, some day I will ship them to you inter continentally :-D

    Hehe, thanks Rajitha....yup I'm in a good baking mood :)

    Thanks Susan, your event sure has got me baking more than I thought:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to see you back Asha dear, even if its for a while :)

    So true Lakshmi, my mom was complaining of the same thing, that we don't get Hazelnuts in India.

    Thanks Bee :)

    Thanks Vanamala, I'm glad you stopped by:)

    Thanks Sagari :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cookies are very tempting...nice one

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Ferrero Rocher candies so much too! I have to try these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely looking cookies Namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Namiiiiii......... :-)

    Surprise....:-) ...
    Mouth-watering cookies kane...I dropped by to check out your rice recipes and thought its high time I leave a message antha... :-)
    I am going to try Ghee rice, dill rice and pudina pulav soon..shall let u know once i do aaitha.. your blog rocks and keep it up gal..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Namrus,
    I'm trying this one next. Are there any "ought to know tips" about baking cookies. how do i prevent browning, though i tried changing levels in between, i did get them slightly brown which dint alter the taste though. How efficient is the wire rack? does it make a big difference in cooling? is it necessary to grease the foil for cookies? what affects the texture? the softness and hardness? cookies are fun to make really.....glad u have loads of them here.....

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin