Butter and Jam Cookies

The holidays always brings to mind the festive spirit of Christmas, the decorative lights, lovingly chosen gifts and the good cheer of joy. It also brings with it the never ending goodies and delicious food. One such food which everyone loves is Cookies. During this time of the year you come across cookies in all shapes, sizes, colours and flavours. It sure is a treat to the eyes as much as it is for the palette.

I decided to make a batch at home and give them to my close friends. My gift for the holidays :)

I have not tried a boxed cookie mix before, and decided to go ahead and make them from scratch. I found a easy and simple recipe from the Food Network website. I must say they were very delicious.


You will need:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
2/3 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup strawberry jam (or raspberry/cherry jam)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

In another bowl, whip the butter and the sugar with a hand-held mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing just until incorporated.

Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls with a cookie or ice cream scoop and roll in sugar. Place about 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press a thumbprint into the center of each ball, about 1/2-inch deep. Fill each indentation with about 3/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake cookies until the edges are golden, about 15 minutes. (For even color, rotate the pans from top to bottom about halfway through baking.) Cool cookies on the baking sheets. Serve.

Store cookies in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.

The cookies weren't perfectly shaped, but tasted very good. I hope my friends will like it as much as I did.

This is my entry to the event "Eat Christmas Cookies" hosted by Susan of Food Blogga.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Namratha! I loved making these with my mom, except she always called them "Jam Thumbprint Cookies." Yours look so pretty all wrapped up; I'm sure the recipients of those bundles will be quite happy! Thanks for participating in Eat Christmas Cookies. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namratha, what perfect timing.. I've been meaning to try these too since i love jam-filled cookies.
    So neatly wrapped up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cookies...need my address? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. nammu!! where is my share :D..cookies look great and love the way u have packaged them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,I love those packed cookies..:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey i would lick my fingers if i ate those delicious looking cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by :) Being a part of your event was a pleasure:)

    Thanks Lavaanya, you really should try them, they taste so good!

    Hehe, thanks Sunita, and will take your address next time, nothing left over this time to send over :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rajitha dear,your share only if you move here :-D

    Thanks Raks :)

    Hahaha, you really will do that Happy, they are finger licking good no doubt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. add me to you gift bags list Namratha.They look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. My auntie and mom always make lots of cookies, pies and fudge at Christmas. I love the smell of the food, and decorations...and the lights and trees...It's my favorite time of year! These cookies are so perfect for the season, they look so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoaa... The cookies look nice n yummy! So when are you mailing me some??

    ReplyDelete
  12. those cookies look wonderfulllllll

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh thanks Madhavi! Will send u some the next time I bake them, they are all gone this time :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can imagine how nice it must be for you Meeso, good times of the year! :)

    Thanks Suman, I'm not mailing them, you better come over :)

    Thanks Sagari :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin