Santa Fe Wraps and Classic Mexican Tomato Salsa

I have always wanted to make good tasting Salsa to go along with Tortilla chips to satisfy my hunger pangs. I know, not a very healthy snack but absolutely mouth watering. I was not satisfied with my previous attempts at making home made Salsa, until I lay my hands on "Red Hot: A Cook's Encyclopedia of Fire and Spice".

As I had promised in my previous post here's a picture of the book. I would say its a must own for spicy food lovers.It has all the information you need about chillies and over 300 recipes using chillies of various kinds.

Classic Mexican Tomato Salsa is from this book. I served it with Santa Fe wraps and Tortilla chips.

Santa Fe Wraps

Simple finger food for a party or just to satisfy that 'snack' hunger pang!

You will need:

½ cup Sour cream
½ cup Softened Crème Cheese
¼ cup Frozen Corn (thawed)
2 tbsp Celery finely chopped
½ cup Tomato finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp Hot sauce (Recommended : Tobasco)
Salt and Pepper
3-4 Tortillas
Toothpicks

Blend all the ingredients in a bowl to make a smooth mixture. Cover and chill for an hour to let flavours combine.

Spread an even layer of this mixture on one side of a tortilla. Roll tortilla gently to make a tight roll. Prick toothpicks at intervals on the roll and cut in between to make individual sized wrap pieces.

Serve alongside Salsa Verde and Classic Mexican Tomato salsa. The celery gives a nice crunch and the corn adds a bit of sweet amidst the tang and spice.

Spirals of Flavour

You can add our own choice of filling, like chopped jalapenos, blackbeans or a little bit of the salsa itself.

Classic Mexican Tomato Salsa

You will need:

3-5 Fresh Serrano Chillies (use 3 for medium heat and more for hot)
1 large white or red onion
Juice from 2 Limes and the grated rind
8 ripe, firm tomatoes
Large bunch of fresh coriander
¼ tsp Sugar
Salt

To peel the chillies, spear them on a metal skewer and roast over the flame of a gas burner until the skins blister and darken. Do not let the flesh burn. Place the roasted chillies in a strong plastic bag, tie the top of the bag to keep the steam in. Set aside for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile finely chop the onion and put it in a bowl with the lime juice and rind. The lime juice will soften the onion.

Remove the chillies from the bag and peel off the skins. Cut the stalks and slit the chillies. Scrape the seeds with a sharp knife. Chop the flesh roughly and set aside.

Cut a small cross in the base of each tomato. Place the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. Leave the tomatoes for 3 minutes and immediately remove and run under cold water. The skins will have begun to peel back from the crosses, remove the skins completely.

Dice the peeled tomatoes and put them in the bowl with the chopped onions. Add chopped coriander, salt,sugar and chopped chillies. Mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the flavours to come together. The salsa will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.

Classic Mexican Tomato Salsa

Serve alongside Tortilla chips or Santa Fe wraps.

Update:

I'm sending this over to "Best of 2007- Food blogger's recipe collection" as my Best Recipe for this year.

22 comments:

  1. looks so professional, the way you have presented it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures Namratha! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the RED HOT!!:D
    I made those wraps last Christmas and is in my post, kids love them!:))
    Enjoy and I will be on break until the 1st. Got to cook a lot today for tomorrow! Have fun. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the presentation and the way ur rolls look..very professional as nags pointed out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rolls look yummy. Salsa looks good too. I make salsa without roasting the chilies or heating tomatoes. that tastes good too. But will try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just yesterday we ate some amazing salsa and were wondering where we could find an authentic recipe. thanks.

    wish you happy holidays and a wonderful 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade salsa is the best! I cannot bring myself to eat the jarred kind anymore. Everything here looks really great, I would love to try one of these Santa Fe Wraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always found that homemade salsa to be the best.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. homemade salsa and tortilla wraps... great combination!
    Merry Christmas to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Raks :) A very Happy New year to you too.

    That's nice Asha, you have fun too! :)

    Thanks Rajitha dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Vimmi, you should try this version,gives the salsa a whole new taste. Glad you stopped by too :)

    The pleasure is mine Bee, do try this, its totally kick ass! :-D Wishing u too a wonderful new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more Meeso, now that I know how to make this wonderful tasting salsa, will surely give up the jarred ones. Try the wraps, they are easy and can be made in a breeze.

    So true Cynthia! :)Happy Holidays to you too dear:)

    Thanks Lissie, Merry Christmas to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are regulars in our house too as my husband, my bro and his wife are hard-core mexican lovers:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to crown you Queen of mexican food. Thanks to this lovely book you've been supplying all these delicious recipes. Lovely Namratha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. santa fe wraps are interesting.will have to make some time.namratha I am bookmarking loads of recipes to try for your blog.Don't know when I am going to try all these ones.But certainly will have to make some time.Excellent salsa too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm ... salsa, I've been craving it ever since I got back from Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many posts since I last came here! You blog with amazing regularity and I am unable to keep up.:-)
    Pasta frittata looks great.
    Happy holidays, Namratha, and best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi namaratha,
    This is the first time I am visiting your blog. I was looking through all your post this recipe caught in to my eyes, wow! the way you presented is veryyy nice .I love Mexican food.I definitely gonna try this for the new year party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just saw your blog on Best of 2007. It's nice to see another blogger from Georgia. I have the same cookbook that you have. Couscous and Chile Salad

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow ! This looks so delicious.. I found your blog from the game night event round up.
    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Mansi :)

    Oh the pleasure is all mine Laavi :)

    :) Glad to hear that Madhavi, do try them on your own time :)

    Thanks Kay!

    Thanks TBC:)

    Thanks Shriya, hope you tried them!

    Pleased to meet you Lynnylu, thanks for stopping by :)

    Thanks Pallavi:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin