Calzones

In my last post about Mini Pizzas I had mentioned that I used half the pizza dough to make two fully loaded calzones.

The recipe for the Calzones is from the book “The best ever Vegetarian Cookbook" by Linda Fraser.I used the delicious and surprisingly tasty Eggplant filling as a topping for one of the pizzas too.

Here's the recipe for the pizza dough and the calzones.

You will need:

For the dough:

1 packet (7g/ ¼ oz) active dry yeast
2 ½ to 3 cups All purpose flour
1 ½ tbsp Olive oil
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 Cup Warm water (110 F)

For the filling:

4 Baby eggplants cubed
3 Shallots chopped
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp Crushed red pepper
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp Oil
10 Sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
1 Garlic clove chopped

Shredded Mozarella
1-2 tbsp Shredded Parmesan

The method to make the Pizza dough can be found here.

Prepare filling -- Heat oil in a pan. Add shallots and fry till soft. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes, garlic, thyme, crushed pepper, salt and black pepper. Saute for a a few seconds. Now add the cubed eggplant and sauté till soft. Turn off heat and let cool a little.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and form into 2 balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out into 2 8-inch circles

Place eggplant shallot tomato filling in the center of one side of each circle, top with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella then fold dough over filling to meet edges of filled side. Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers, then cut a small slit on the top of the calzone to allow steam to escape while cooking. Bake for 8-10 minutes till light brown. Remove from the oven and brush calzones with a layer of olive oil. Sprinkle shredded parmesan on top and serve immediately.

Since these Calzones were so big, they lasted me a good two days! :-D They just got better and better!!

15 comments:

  1. omg!! namratha...these look fabulous....goes onto my list of muct try's!! mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm I love these. Can just imagine the aroma comming from your kitchen when you were making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have been meaning to try this for ages... thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely and yeah, HUGE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely calzones, and I love the "fully loaded" part :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calzone looks delicious Namratha, I have never tried, eggplant filling is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look lovely.. will surely try this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW oh WOW now i'm drooling :P Your Calzone's look very delicious Namratha!! :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Namratha.....

    This is Rachana writing to u from Cyprus. It has been just 6 months that i got married n flew to Cyprus with my hubby. I had never cooked before i got married and after i came in here it was really a challenging job....i need to thank god that nothing has went wrong in cooking till date. One of my friend told me about this site n from that day i have been looking in this for various recipes..... beleive me that i have tried a few and everything has come out really well.... recently i saw ur post on punjabi malai daal...i also saw that ur mom was on TV. I had tried that recipe today and it came out really well... My hubby liked it too.....thnk u.... keep up the good job... ur posts are helping newly married one's a lot.... bye n take care.

    Regards,
    Rachana M K

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow wow!!!! namratha... that looks sooooo divine....love ur mini pizzas also...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good! I would love something like that for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look delicious! I was looking for a new take on calzones. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good looking ones! and very touching comment from your fan rachana. Feels good to get comments from people who truely try the recipes out> Get a satisfaction at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Namratha,

    A couple of days back I posted a similar recipe in my blog, using refrigerated pizza dough. At that time I didn't know that they were calzones and named it as eggless spicy buns. I thought that I had come with something new. Then one of the blogger friends told me that it's called calzones.

    Glad to see the original thing here. Maybe you can also try it with the refrigerated pizza dough and make your life more easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks very tasty. i will try it for sure.You can visit me at my site
    http://vandanakitchen.blogg.no/
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin