Eggless Chocolate Cake

I’ve done it! I’ve finally baked an Eggless Cake. It is an achievement for me because in my terms a cake without eggs cannot taste good nor can it be moist and fluffy. Well this one proved me wrong.

From the time I’ve been baking and posting recipes here for cakes, I’ve had so many people ask me, including friends and relatives, for a tried recipe for an Eggless cake. Since I had never baked an eggless cake, I had no recipes to offer them. Using eggs was never an issue at mom’s place nor here, and though mom and dad both don’t eat eggs in its original form, they don’t mind cakes with egg in it. Mom has been giving baking classes for ages and she never had to think about baking an eggless cake. So even my mom is in the enquirers list for an eggless cake recipe…hehe

I have been looking online and have come across so many recipes for eggless cakes. The trouble is which one to try. One says only flour, butter and milk while the other says “eggless,butterless,milkless”!! After much browsing and reading scores of recipes, I decided to try this one. It was on a forum on some site. Whoever that person is, thanks to them as this cake turned out great!

The recipe was good by itself, it needed little more liquid than mentioned. I changed that and it was perfect.

You will need:

1 2/3 cups All purpose Flour

1 cup Sugar

¾ cup Cocoa powder

1 tsp Baking powder

1 tsp Salt

1 1/3 cup Buttermilk

½ cup melted Butter

1 ½ tsp Vanilla


Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 baking pan.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add salt and sugar. Combine and then add the melted butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat till smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then cut into pieces and serve.


The texture of the cake was dense,yet moist. It did taste different from a regular chocolate cake with eggs in it, but this was good for an eggless one.

This cake tastes great when it is slightly warm. So dig in before it cools completely!

Now my quest begins for a non-chocolate eggless cake .......

32 comments:

  1. Good one Nams. I have never baked Eggless cake but I bake quick breads which are like Eggless cakes I guess. You are right about the texture though, doesn't match the egg cakes but doable if you add apple sauce etc to replace eggs. Looks good. I bet your mom is happy now!
    I saw the Deccan Herald dish, good one!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namratha, I'm of your mind set too! Haven't tried much of eggless cakes for fear of the texture change. Plus, there's no need to make eggless dishes in my house because we all eat. Still, it's great to have a recipe like this for when we have guests that won't eat eggs. Looks gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake sounds so good right now, and this one looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the texture of that yummy looking cake is beautiful!! hope to see more of ur experiments with such cakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..yummy cake...keep rocking namaratha..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made an eggless cake a loooooong time back but never jotted down the recipe. I have no clue what went into it or where I had got the recipe from.

    This is perfect. Bookmarked, Namratha.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a recipe for an eggless MW cake... but haven't tried non chocolate eggless yet... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW..namratha..i think so you can start teaching baking class..

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!!perfect one ..looks very moist..You know i have all the ingredents for this recipe ..will surely prepare it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your cake looks so lovely...i will surely try this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi...beautiful recipe...also am adding you to my blogroll....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once tried an eggles cake where the subsitute was apparently oil. It was a disaster. I thought of blogging it saying what recipe NOT to try :D good things urs came out well.. maybe I can try it and see once :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Namratha... on a succesful experiment... Cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have something waiting for you at my blog, and It's not a bribe for a piece of this cake either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even I am always on the hunt for eggless cakes! No not bcos I dont like eggs, but bcos I am jus curious to make ones without the use of the unthinkable egg! I have come to some success in that front...I have a little different recipe than this..I havent tried vegan! will give this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always on the lookout for eggless vegan cakes and I am glad I found this. It looks so moist and spongy! This is on my to-try list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Namratha..I have a award for you in my blog..kindly check..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Nam,

    Lovely cake. Eggless goodies are always welcome in my kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Namratha, this is a lovely looking eggless cake!! Well done on a great bake :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Namratha

    Even I was looking for one and had the same issues as to which one to try..Now you've solved me prob there...thanks dear!!

    It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMM eggless cake looks moist namratha ,love it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yup Asha, she sure is:) And I'm pleased with the results too.

    Nice Kalai:) Thanks!!

    Thanks Meeso :)

    Thanks Richa,yup you will see more of 'em when I get to them :)

    Thanks Dhivya:)

    Oh do try this T, it is surprisingly good. :)

    MW cake,Raaga, somehow I am skeptical about cooking in the MW, but will get to your recipe if I ever change my mind dear:)

    Haha, thanks Lavaanya, so nice of you to say so:)

    Great Deepa, do try it:)

    thanks Sowmya:)

    Thanks Priya, glad to have u over.

    Hehe that would have been a good idea Nags, a good warning for those looking for an eggless cake recipe. Frankly, most recipes I came across had oil as the substitution....thank goodness I avoided them. :)

    Thanks Sig :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhh Meeso dear, thanks a bunch for the lovely award dear, it is my first!!! :):)

    That's good DK, is that recipe on your blog...would love to try it...now I'm all about experimenting :D

    Thanks Red Chillies, do try it:)

    WOW Lavanya, thanks so much for the award, you are the second one to give me the same award. thanks again dear:)

    Thanks Zlamushka:)

    Thanks Rosie dear:)

    Thanks Swati, do try it. Glad I could be of help:)

    Thanks Sagari:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi namratha
    Very well done, indeed. The cake picture too,look good. Must surely be finger licking good. I can feel the surge of success and well deserved happiness, especially for mom.Now , now..what's next in the menu dear !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow the cake looks delicious. I would have never known it was without eggs.
    Yumm

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks delicious Namratha!
    I have a recipe for Eggless Chocolate cake on my blog too... though it calls for different ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicious and fluffy... I love eggless cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Lavaanya, oh you have a recipe too....should have known before :)

    Thanks Anu :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. AnonymousJune 15, 2009

    Hello,

    I love the top picture of this yummy cake and would like to use it in a newsletter I'm writing for a small Indian NGO working on animal welfare, health and the environment. Please let me know if you agree. Of course it will be credited to you.

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Isabel, thank you for taking the time out to ask before you used the picture. You may use the picture, but send me a link to the article where it will be used. As long as I am credited for it, by adding a link to this post or blog, you may use it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. AnonymousJune 16, 2009

    Thanks Namratha. Of course I will credit the photo to you and send you the link to the newsletter once it's ready.

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks for your wonderful recipe
    it came out wonderfully just like in the picture
    my kids loved it
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin