Mac n cheese -- with a twist

There's nothing more comforting than a good bowl of plain mac n'cheese.Pasta is a favourite no matter how its made and I wanted to make Mac and cheese from scratch at home instead of using a box. I jazzed it up a bit by adding a few of my fav ingredients.

You will need:

2 Cups Macaroni Elbows
1 small Onion, cut into thin strips
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
½ Red bell pepper cut into thin strips
1½ cups Milk
3 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
1 cup Sharp Cheddar cheese (shredded)
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp All purpose Flour
2 handfuls bread crumbs

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt generously, add a tsp of Oil and then add the pasta. Stir and cook for 8 minutes till pasta is cooked through. Drain and keep aside.

Heat oil in an oven proof pan. Add the onions, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes till onions and peppers are soft. Heat the milk in another pan, do not boil.Add the flour and stir continuously till smooth. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Flour is used here to give the pasta a binding agent. Slowly stir in the hot milk and stir continuously to make a smooth thick paste. Cook on low till the sauce thickens.

Preheat oven to 450F.

Turn off heat. Stir in the chopped basil, salt, pepper and the shredded cheese. Stir in the cooked pasta and toss to coat evenly.

Transfer to a baking dish and spread to form an even layer. Top with the bread crumbs and a handful of shredded cheese.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and the bread crumbs have browned. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

I enjoyed this to the last bite.

26 comments:

  1. Looks really inviting. Wish I had a fork in my hand. Feels like digging right now!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy.. i love anything cheesy... even i use a similar recipe for this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a different version of mac and cheese recently. This looks fantastic! Will post mine soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spicy mac..Reading the title I was expecting sweet mac. Well, nice twist. I prefer spicy over sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... thats a nice spicy version of it! I find it too bland otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aa...h what a yummy dish..only wish I had that bowl in front of me for my lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! I have been seeing Mac and cheese making an appearance in fancy restaurants, every chef has their own version of the classic... and yours sounds wonderful Namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a comfort food I really could eat right now!! It does look so very yummy indeed!! :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks soo appetizing Namratha...:))

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are tempting me Namratha. I make something very similar, sometimes add broccoli too... Love the baked version to the other creamy stove top one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Namu, we would love this anytime...yumm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang!!! I was reading a Mac and Cheese book last night!! Mac and cheese made the traditional way is my kids fave quick dinner sometimes. They make it themselves. Looks great Nam!:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a nice change from the ordinary ones! Looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Meera, grab the fork next to the plate :-D

    Thanks Sandhya.

    Thanks Kalai, looking forward to yours :)

    Oh no sweet Pasta here Madhu, its always spicy :)

    Thanks Coffee:)

    Hehe, come on over and we can have it together Lakshmi...

    Thanks Nags,E and Sig.

    Thank you Rosie and Siri.

    Would love it with broccoli Laavi, good one!

    Thanks Sunita dear:)

    Hehe u should have told me about the book sooner Asha dear, maybe would have sent some of this ur way :D

    Thank Bindiya, glad to have u over..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made a Mac and cheese. I had this at an office party once and I wondered how this could be a fav with kids. Turns out, this batch was a really badly made one though I wonder how anyone could mess up something as simple as this! I hope my colleague is not reading this.
    ;-)

    Your version sounds very good.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. there are so many versions to this right ;) urs sounds wonderful, Namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow thyey are indeed delicious. Would love to have a whole plate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Macaronis. Looks spicy and yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. these r very tempting..thanks for the unique recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  21. it would have been tasted excellent with those onions and peppers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Namratha, this is one kicked up macaroni

    ReplyDelete
  23. I make it in quite the same way :-) no cheese on top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hehehe your colleague is reading it T....:D Kidding! glad you liked this one, try it...its simple.

    Absolutely Richa, its all each one's choice...thanks!:)

    Thanks Happy:)

    Thanks Spicy and Dhivya.

    It was awesome Sagari, I love onions and red peppers:)

    Thanks Sreelu :)

    No cheese on top....waaaahhhh....but I bet it still tastes gr8! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Mac & Cheese! It's always great to add different things, my favorite being jalapeño peppers...This batch looks very good!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin