Mixed Berry Soup and an Award:

When Sunita announced the spice for February, I had no idea what to send in as my entry because I have never used Star Anise in my cooking before. I thought I would have sit this event out.

Meanwhile I saw this Berry Soup made by Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network. Much that the name sounds undessert like, it is a colourful and tasty one. The soup is flavoured with Star Anise and Cinnamon. I knew I had my entry for the event.

The original recipe calls for fresh fruit, but you can substitute with frozen fruit as well.

Mixed Berry Soup: (Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork)

2 cups dry red wine
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 whole star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
2 Cups fresh strawberries
1 Cup fresh raspberries

½ Cup fresh blueberries
1 pint vanilla ice-cream

Combine the wine, water, sugar, star anise, and cinnamon sticks in a large pan. Add all the berries. Bring the liquids to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the fruit is very tender, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Discard the star anise and cinnamon sticks. Transfer the berry mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer and into a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, stirring occasionally, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day ahead.

Place a small scoop of vanilla ice cream in the center of a dessert glass or soup bowl. Drizzle or pour soup over the ice cream and serve immediately. If using fresh berries, reserve some for garnish.

This makes for a satisfying dessert on any occasion. The dark berry soup over the white vanilla ice cream is perfect.

It was a race against time taking these pics, the room was just too warm and the ice cream didn't hold too long. I used 3 scoops, and you can see one scoop has already half melted :D I decided to swirl the soup and the ice cream to make it look a little presentable.

I'm sending this in the nick of time to "Think Spice – Think Star Anise" hosted by dear Sunita of Sunita’s World.

Now to the award; two dear friends have passed on the "Nice Matters" award to me on the same day. This is my first award and I'm so pleased :) Meeso of My Humble Kitchen and Lavanya of Home Cook's Recipes, thanks to both of you!!!!

“Nice Matters Award is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world.”

I'm honored that my friends consider me worthy of this award:) Thanks again Meeso and Lavanya!!

Now my turn to pass it on to a few important people;

First, to dear Rajitha of Hunger Pangs, the first person in the blogging world that I actually became close to. I still don't know her that well, but her blog is on my must see list everyday. She is on a break from blogging now, hope to see her back soon! :)

Second, to dear Sunita of Sunita's World, love her pictures, recipes and everything she rambles about. She is one person whom I respect for her honesty and simplicity.

Third, to dear TBC of The Budding Cook, we connect on some level dunno which one though :-D

24 comments:

  1. The soup and ice cream look delightful! You can pass that my way anytime!! Congrats on the award, Namratha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks great, and Congratulations on getting the award from two people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious...
    and congrats for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very tempting dessert :)
    congrats for the award

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious!!!
    Congratulations on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award. Looks delicious. Thanks for coming by... i see very tempting & yummy pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the award and lovely looking soup

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a delicious dessert Namratha.. and congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats.. sumptous delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks sinfully delicious!...congrats on your awards..enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. soup? dessert? yummy looking on either counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this combi looks yummy namratha..it is really tempting me to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dessert soup!! Looks yummy though whatever Ms.Giada call it!:)
    Enjoy the award, you are a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty swirls on the soup.. This is one soup I can see my husband really loving! Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it looks delicious, the swirls are beautiful. check out my blog, i passed you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats with the awrad. Berry soup looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how pretty! Love the swirls.
    Very nice adaptation.:-) I wonder how I missed this one on Giada's show.

    Congrats on the award, Namratha.:)
    Thank you for thinking of me too.
    Yeah, we do connect on some level...will let you know as soon as I figure it out myself.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely & delicious dessert :) ... Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious! Gr8 flavours and nice entry.. Congrats on your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This soup/dessert just looks so delicious! Congrats on the award much deserved! :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful soup namratha, congrats for the award

    ReplyDelete
  22. Namratha, thanks for your entry and congrats on the award...it was nice of you to think of me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Kalai :)

    Thanks Meeso dear!!:)

    Thanks Suman:)

    Thank you Richa and Meera:)

    Thanks Pravs, pleasure to have you over too :)

    Thanks E and Sig:)

    Thank you Kalva and Srivalli:)

    Hehe, weird isn't it Nags :D

    Thanks Lavanya, wish I could send u some :)

    Thanks Asha dear :)

    Thanks Lavaanya, do try it:)

    Thanks Sandhya, so thoughtful of you:)

    Thanks Happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Huhhh...u missed it?? How could that be T, you watch more Giada than I do :D My pleasure dear :)

    Thanks Vanamala and Anu:)

    Thank you Rosie and Sagari:)

    Thanks Sunita, my pleasure dear:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin