Fusilli alla Caprese

The name itself should tell you that this recipe is either straight from a book or from a cooking channel. And for those who know how much I watch Food Network the latter should ring a bell. I recently saw this on Giada’s show and was waiting to try it since it looked very simple.



Instead of using jarred Marinara sauce, Giada gives a quick and simple way to make a chunky yummy sauce from Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic. I didn’t have Cherry Tomatoes on hand so on my next visit to the farmers market I bought some and made this without further ado. The original recipe calls for fresh Mozzarella but I didn’t find any at my grocers, hence used the packaged mozzarella. It tasted just fine.



You will need:

2 Cups Fusilli(Rotini) pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp Sugar

½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
½ Cup Mozzarella cubed or shredded

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender Drain pasta into a large bowl.

In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. As the tomatoes cook and soften, smash them with a fork. Continue to cook until the tomatoes make a chunky style sauce. Transfer the tomato sauce to the bowl with the pasta. Toss to combine. Add the basil leaves and mozzarella. Stir to combine. Serve immediately…or in my case eat immediately.

I added sugar to mellow the tartness of the cherry tomatoes since I’m not a big fan of tart foods. It was a perfect bowl of pasta for any night of the week.

20 comments:

  1. So simple and looks delicious with cherry tomotoes and cheese:)Nam, the bowl is for u only :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Namratha,
    I made the same thing too after seeing that episode. I made it with another pasta though. I didn't have fresh mozarella either like I noramlly do, so I used the shredded one. This one's sitting in my drafts now.:)

    Isn't it super easy and tasty? I made this when H was away so I didn't even need to share it!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and delicious recipe:)pic looks so yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! looks so good. I am a fan of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, thanks Cham! :)

    LOL, really T? :D You won't believe it, I made it when hubby was away too...so had the whole bowl to myself :P I didn't expect it to taste so good, I made it twice in the same week!!

    Thanks Dhivya :)

    Thanks Uma :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love pasta for quick and easy meals! This looks fantastic, Namratha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks yummy... and so simple. Will make it our dinner sometime this week

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love pasta...and this looks so yummy and easy to put together...i agree with raaga...am going to try this too this week...plus that its raining here in hyderabad is the excuse that i need!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. simple recipe but so tempting.. can i grab some?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Giada too!! Your pasta looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. are u saying i've to share my caprese salad with the pasta....lol
    love that fresh mozarella & tomato combo anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this episode too and was thinking what a super easy recipe that is.. Nice to know that you and TBC tried & liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am sooo waiting for the mango season to start here :) this looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks yummy Nams! nothing like homemade marinara sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks simple, yummy and light!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Easy to follow recipe... Nice photo! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks simple and wonderful. will give a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. simple one pot dish and everyone is happy!! it looks so yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin