Channa(Chickpeas) Curry:


My mom always made Channa curry with Bathuras, and most often only when she took classes. So the day she taught Channa Bathura, we had the same dish for lunch/dinner too. My brother and I used to look forward to this combo for two reasons; one, the Bathuras (form of Pooris) were huge and second, the Channa curry tasted different from anything we had eaten elsewhere. Back then it didn’t matter to me what went into the curry as long as it tasted good.But once I began to cook myself, I realized why mom’s curry was so unique and delicious at the same time. It's definitely different from the channa made with the MDH Channa Masala (which I like too by the way). Here’s why.


You will need:


2 Cups Channa/Chickpeas

4 Onions chopped

6 large tomatoes

1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste

1 tsp Anardana (Dried Pomegranate seeds)

1 tsp Cumin seeds

1 tsp Garam Masala powder

1 tsp Red chilli powder

½ tsp Turmeri powder

1 tsp Lime juice

1 tbsp Jaggery

1 Tea bag (regular flavour)

1/3 Cup Oil

Salt to taste




Soak channa/chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook with a pinch of cooking soda till done(usually 3 whistles). Strain and reserve.


Puree 4 tomatoes and keep aside. Chop the remaining. Powder the cumin seeds and anardana. Then add a fistful of boiled channa, onions, jaggery and red chilli powder. Grind to a smooth paste, add water as required.


Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Add the ground paste and sauté for 5 minutes on low flame till the paste thickens and the oil begins to float on top. Now add the tomato puree, boiled channa, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup water. Stir and bring to a boil on medium heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Now insert a tea bag and let the string hang on the side of the pan. Add garam masala powder, salt and lime juice. Let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Do not over boil as you don’t want an overpowering taste of tea in the dish. Discard tea bag,garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.

29 comments:

  1. tea bag ina gravy....that's new to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channa looks delicious Nam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea bag ? thats very surprising and interesting flavour. I make similar to your recipe next time wil experiment with tea bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chana curry with poori yummmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have planned to soak channa now..tea bag,anardana, all seams to be the trick..

    ReplyDelete
  6. channa curry looks divine...i guess how many ever we have..another wouldn't matter..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always forget the tea bags...:-) curry looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never used tea bags but our dinner today is chole, paratha!:))

    Looks so good Nams. I love Woodland's Batura, HUGE at 12" wide!!!:D

    My fryer is not big.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought tea bag was put when you pressure cook channa. Should try this way.One time tea bag broke for me and it was horrible taste. Looks delicious..want to have this now with bathura !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea bag in gravy & no channa masala?.. this is a different recipe but no doubt it tastes awesome since it's tried and tested by your mom! :) I'm craving bhaturas and channa now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Channa looks delicious. I've bookmarked the recipe to make once as you told it tasted so good i want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these looks yummy and delicious nam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of that before- using tea bags in this dish. What's it for?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is always, always a finger licking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always thought T-bag is to be put in the pressure cooker. Curry looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time I hear of Tea bags in channa..I am try ing this next time I make Channa

    ReplyDelete
  17. d-lish!
    love chole anytime, just made it yest :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks wonderful! Have used the tea bag trick before and it's deeeeeelicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks yumm... tea bag idea is new to me... next time i will try with tea bag...

    ReplyDelete
  20. umm.. its looks delicious Nam; I add tea bag to soak chana (along with water). Will try your way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love channa very much.Never tried with anardana and tea.Will try it soon.Thanks for dropping at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. what difference does anardana bring abt namratha?Tea bag in a gravy sounds interesting!will try using that when I make channa gravy next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incidentally, I made this yesterday :-)

    Your instructions are so precise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Try it Rachel, it tastes gr8!

    Thanks dear Cham:)

    Yup Madhu, tastes a little better with the tea bag. try it.

    :D Sagari

    It sure is Lavi, try it..you will like it :)

    That's so true Valli dear, the more versions the merrier :D

    Oh do try it the next time E, thanks! :)

    Oh cool Asha dear, yummy combo...oh yeah, those Bathuras are really BIG!

    Uh oh, tea bag breaking isn't a good thing Pravs,try adding it to the curry, you won't have a problem.

    Hehe, thanks Laavi..mom would be pleased to read this :) LOL go try this and the bathuras...will satisfy your craving :D

    Thanks Happy, do try it when u get a chance.

    Thanks Dhivya:)

    Noo idea T, but I do know it makes a big diff in taste. Now that you asked I think I should question mom and ask her if she knows :D

    It sure is Cynthia :)

    I haven't tried putting it in the pressure cooker Pooja, but it works gr8 in the curry.

    Do try it Divya:)

    Awesome Richa :)

    Ohh that;s nice Kalai, glad u like it ...it tastes too good isn;t it?

    Thanks Sandhya, yup do try it :)

    Oh is it Laks, should try that too...but with the gravy it works gr8..try it

    Thanks Kamala, for stopping by :)

    No idea Bharathy, but it just tastes different is all I can say...another question for mom now :D

    Hey that's nice Raaga...thanks dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yum, One of my favorite dishes as I LOVE chickpeas...It's on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Namratha - I LOVE your blog, and took this particular recipe to be my start into experimenting with your recipes. I hate to say this, but I screwed up somewhere - firstly, i didn't have regular chick-peas, so I used the dark "kabuli" chana, and secondly, i didn't have the pomegranate seeds either. For some reason, my curry ended up being too tomato based with a distinct sour flavor.
    To redeem myself, my husband thought it was great!!!! And claims this is the best version to go with chapathis. So we still have a winner, even though I was so disillusioned when my version didn't look anything like your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Zarra, glad you tried this.

    Well, I guess you have just discovered a new version of this curry, so enjoy! :D The sour might have been from the tomatoes, in such cases you can ad about a tsp or two of Jaggery (Gur)

    Next time try it with the regular chickpeas, u will like it even better :) Thanks for stopping by :):)

    ReplyDelete
  28. How unusual - a tea bag?!

    I just cooked up a huge batch of chickpeas - this looks like a very good way to use some up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nami,
    I came across ur blog. I like ur Cake recipes as I found that u r expert Cake baker.
    Ur channa curry recipe so unique.
    Thanx 4 that.
    Sonu:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin