Spicy Chickpeas & Eggplant Curry

This curry combines simple flavours to make a great tasting dish. I had no idea eggplant could pair so well with chickpeas until I tried this dish.




You will need:

1 large Eggplant cubed
4 Tomatoes cubed
1 (8 oz) can Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) or 1 Cup soaked overnight and boiled
½ tsp Cumin powder
½ tsp Corriander powder
1 1/2 tsp Chilli powder (adjust to suit taste)
1 Onion chopped
2 Garlic cloves chopped
3 tbsp Olive oil


For the Garnish:
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 Garlic clove chopped
Sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro)

Heat the 3 tbsp Olive Oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and onion, cook until soft. Add the spices and cook, stirring for a few seconds. Now add the cubed eggplant, stir and let cook till eggplant is soft. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas. Add ½ cup water and season with salt. Cover and and simmer for 15 minutes.

To make the garnish, heat oil in another pan and sauté the sliced onions and garlic. Fry until golden and crisp.

Serve the curry with hot rice, topped with the onion garnish and sprigs of cilantro. The onion garnish was out of this world, absolutely lip smacking!

21 comments:

  1. Wow, No need to convince me these will go together... I am bookmarking this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. that is an unusual combination but i have to try it! bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it often this combo, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy yummy entry, looks goooooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nams, haven't seen u in many days??

    This is different but sounds tempting and looks great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both the ingredients and the final dish looks tempting too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am a big fan of eggplants and also channa. i am boomarking ur recipe(very innovative) namratha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. eggplant and chick peas is a different combination. Curry looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow just pass me the last ppicture of food, i will be a very contend woman :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 17, 2008

    a unique combi ... and looks yummy too ... thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 17, 2008

    a unique combi ... and looks yummy too ... thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. An unusual combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the combo, I add brown chana. Looks mouthwatering, specially fried onions on top!:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read about this combination in some other blog too but haven't had the chance to try yet. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Namratha
    Chickpeas and eggplant is a different combo... Looks great. YUM!. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. bookmarked for making it for jeeves..as i don;t eat eggplant i don;t do any R&D on the recipe...just look for good ones :)..btw..how are you doing??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good gosh, girl! I'm sitting here wiping drool off of my face. This looks awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great recipe.....
    Looks good!
    Nice pics.....
    I must try this on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Namaratha,First time at ur blog.U have nice and lovely blog.the plate looks sooo inviting....Chickpeas and eggplant is a different combo... Looks great......

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah Delish! I love chickpeas and this is a great recipe. I enjoy your cousin: rakhi's food once in a while.I have a sweet surprise for you in my blog.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin