Mom’s Pav Bhaji

The last time I made Pav bhaji was using the Pav Bhaji masala powder which is readily available. When I told my mom, she said, that’s not how I make it…we use our own masala. I was wondering why I hadn’t learned this one dish from mom yet. So this is mom’s version of the Bhaji in Pav Bhaji.

You will need:

4 Tomatoes
1 lb Potatoes (about ½ kg)
1 cup Green Peas (fresh/frozen)
2-3 Green Bell peppers finely chopped
2 Onions finely chopped
6-8 Green Chillies
4-5 pods of Garlic
½ stick Butter
½ Cup fresh Corriander, chopped

Dry Masala Powders:
1 tsp Cumin Powder
2 tsp Corriander Powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder
¼ tsp Amchur (Dried Mango) powder
¼ tsp Chaat Masala
A pinch Garam Masala powder

Salt to taste
Juice from 1 Lemon

Boil the potatoes, peel and grate. Set aside. Boil fresh/frozen peas, drain.

In a blender, puree the tomatoes, green chillies and garlic. Blend to make a smooth paste.

Heat 2 tbsp Butter in a pan. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers. Saute till onions are soft and translucent and the bell peppers are cooked through. Now add the puree and all the dry masala powders. Bring to a simmering boil on medium heat and let boil for 10 minutes. This helps bring all the flavours together. Add the grated potato and season with salt. Let boil for another 5 minutes and check for seasoning. Add water if the bhaji is too thick. Lastly add the the lemon juice and 2 more tbsp of Butter. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with buttered, toasted Pav.

I’m glad mom told me how to make this, I know I am not going to miss the instant Pav Bhaji masala anymore!

23 comments:

  1. Thanks to share your own masala powder :) usually buy MTR mix , looks delicious Nam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks so good, we don't get the bread here so if i make this will have to fill it with soft sandwitches.
    Will sure for try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nam, that looks yummy..thanks for sharing your mom's recipe..sure makes a difference..I too use the instant one, so next this is going to be it!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, mom's recipe is the best...looks divine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a delighful platter that I would like to gorge on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Namratha.. now I know what to do when I run out of pav bhaji masala powder :) Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow , Moms recipe for masala sounds good.I have bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy yum!!! lip smacking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 12, 2008

    Hi Namratha ... The dry powder mix of ur mom's recipe sounds really nice ...
    With most of these masalas readily available at home, it would be good to make pav bhaji even without the instant masala!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a very nice combi of masala for pav bhaji...will try next time..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Namrata, thanks for sharing powder recipe. Pav bhaji looks delicious. I love pav bhaji

    Check My blog there is surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. delicious pav bhaji..soooooo tempting and inviting:)..love this anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! Homemade pavbhaji masala? That must have tasted so good. Thanks for sharing. I too have always used readymade masala.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting pav bhaji masala powder..looks good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanxxx Namratha for sharing ur mom's recipe. Pav-Bhaji looks awesome, mouthwaterng!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOH! That looks yummy. I always use MDH Pav bhaji masala, must try this way. Thanks to your mom, we are all learning!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Namratha that looks really yummy,it's been so long since I made pav bhaji will try this sometime

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy!! how delicious nammu..thnsk for sharing ur mom's recipe...bookmarked for future try-outs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing your mom's special pav bhaji masala, Namratha! Will have to try this version next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great!
    Pav-bhaji has always been among favorites of me n my family so feels good to even have a look at pav-bhaaji pics ..LOL
    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad to see so many Pav bhaji lovers, yaaay! :) Thanks all for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi there, another one more Pav-Bhaji lover here.
    Thank u 4 Pav-Bhaji Masala powder. try it next time. I can't put a remarks and comments to ur each n every recipe as I just came accross to ur blog today. BTW, I appriciate ur efforts n dedication to cooking and the way of sharing.
    Sonu:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this for dinner today... A mix of this recipe and the original one using the readymade powder.. Finger licking Good nonetheless.. Thanks Nams.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin