Spanakopitas

Sounds like Greek? Well it is Greek! :D Spanakopitas is a Spinach and Feta Cheese Pie or Phyllo triangles stuffed with a Spinach and Feta mixture.

The first time I had Spanakopitas was at an annual Greek festival here in Atlanta.

You will need: (Makes 24-26 triangles)

1 lb Spinach, thoroughly washed and chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 1 tbsp Butter
1/2 Cup Feta cheese, crumbled
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
20 Phyllo sheets, thawed
½ Cup chopped scallions (white and green)
Salt and pepper

Melt 1 tbsp of Butter in a pan. Add the chopped scallions and sauté for a minute. Add the chopped spinach and cokk till wilted down, about 4 minutes. Season with nutmeg and pepper. Stir in the feta cheese and turn off heat. Let the mixture cool completely. Taste and season with salt, only if required( Feta is salty)

While working with Phyllo sheets always remember to keep them covered, first with two overlapping layers of plastic wrap and then a damp paper towel on top. Phyllo sheets tend to dry up very quickly and once they are dry they crumble instantly and cannot be used.

Melt the remaining butter. Take one phyllo sheet and apply the melted butter using a pastry brush. Place another sheet on top and then cut the sheet into 6 strips. Place the narrow end of the strip towards you, and then place about a tbsp of the cooled filling. Fold one corner over the filling and fold upward to close the triangle. Continue folding till the entire strip is folded.

Place on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes till golden brown.

Spanakopitas make excellent appetizers and are best when eaten hot.

19 comments:

  1. i love the addition of spinach to this. looks really yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me,I had made this long time ago and we all loved the feta and spinach combo.They look scrumptious and a great appetizer too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!I love them...adore feta cheese...spinach and cheese go very well together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok..these are our samosas...:).but more difficult..looks so yummy nams...real patiences for trying out this..just love the filling with cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little scared of butter layering, but i love the filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I luv spanakopita!!! i call it the greek samosas!!! Looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good. I have never made it at home. Now I am tempted. With the nutmeg in it, you can send it to the think spice - nutmeg event, if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these things... they are the next best thing to samosas.. Looks great namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. really they r looking like ur samosa but they may taste different and yummy and crispy is it namaratha ! lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 11, 2008

    Wow....these look delicious!Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely appetizers.. This would be a great dish for spinach lovers like me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great entry Namratha, looks crispy and yummmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great appetizer..havent tried at home though

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so making me hungry, Namratha!! These look perfect. I love spanakopita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwww!! looks awesome and yummy!!! waiting to try it and taste it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am bloghopping after a long long time and seeing these awesome spanakopitas! for the second time.

    I think its time for me to bake some as I have some phyllo sheets in my freezer

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spanakopitas are heaven! There's something about the feta-spinach pairing that makes me feel so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband is Greek, so I can vouch that this is a pretty authentic looking recipe. Looks great and not overly complicated in flavor!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin