Happy Makara Sankranthi

Wishing all my readers a very Happy Makar Sankranti and Happy Pongal.


Like always, I made the Ellu and Sakkare Acchu at home. Since two years my cousin who lives in CA (the one who gave me the recipe for the Acchu) sends me Ellu and Acchu that she's
made.


From the West Coast to the East Coast - Ellu and Acchu from my cousin sis


I made Khara and Sweet Pongal too. Looking at the Sankranti posts from previous years I realized I hadn't mentioned how to make the Ellu at home. There is not much to it but its good to know what goes into it. There are many versions and almost every household has its own way of making this Sankranti treat. This is how I made mine.

You will need:

1/2 cup White sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1/4 cup Jaggery bits
1/4 cup Shredded dry coconut
1/4 cup Peanuts, toasted and skinned
1/4 cup Split Dalia (Hurgadale)
1/4 cup Sugar coated Cumin seeds or any similar sweet stuff

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Ellu is ready, its as simple as that!

Home-made Ellu & Acchu


Khara Pongal
Sweet Pongal
Home-made Sakkare Acchu



11 comments:

  1. Sankranthi Shubhashayagalu, Namratha. Ellu and achhu are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pongal, Namratha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achhu looks so good, sugary goodness.Happy Shankranthi to you both. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Pongal to you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sankranthi Shubhashayagalu Namratha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your wishes, hope each of you had a wonderful habba.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Pongal to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Pongal to you...I love to munch in that ellu bella.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very happy sankranti to you Namrata.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These both look lovely, even though I hadn't previously seen either.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin