Moong Dal Chakli



Known as Chakli or Murukku, these savory twirled treats make for a delicious snack anytime. There are many types of chaklis and each recipe results in a lip smacking good treat. My mom sent me a Chakli press/maker last year with a friend who was visiting India. I had even bought a instant murukku mix, but had never gotten down to trying it – I still haven’t.


Last week while talking to mom, she gave me the recipe for Moong Dal Chakli which she had tried that day. It sounded fairly simple and considering I had been long meaning to make chaklis at home, I decided to give this one a go. I must say this was one easy chakli to make and inspite of being the first time, it still turned out great.



You will need:


1 measure* Yellow Moong Dal

1 measure* Rice flour

½ tsp Salt

½ tsp Asafoetida

½ tsp White sesame seeds

Oil for deep frying


*By measure I mean any cup/bowl/container you choose to use. Both the yellow moong dal (unboiled) and the rice flour need to be in the same proportion.


Pressure cook the yellow moong dal in water till soft and can be easily mashed. Pour into a colander and let sit till all the water is completely drained. This is an important step and all excess water has to be drained from the dal.


To the drained moong dal, add measured rice flour, sesame seeds, salt and hing. Knead into smooth dough. This dough will be softer than chapathi dough. At this point you can taste to check for salt and add more if required. Also if the dough doesn’t come together because of less moisture you can sprinkle with little water to make it wet and then knead.



To make this chakli use the chakli plate with 3 ridged holes in it. Take a portion of the dough, place in the chakli press, and then you can either press directly into the hot oil (if you have a steady hand) or press the chakli onto waxed paper and then drop in hot oil ,like I did .



Fry on medium heat, so that the insides get cooked. The outside should be a golden light brown, that is when it’s ready. Remove from oil, and drain on paper towels. Store in an air-tight container.


These chaklis are crisp and very tasty, and extremely addictive!! I made a small batch and before we knew hubby and I had wolfed down the whole lot. :D



17 comments:

  1. slurrrp! chakli nangonderadu kalisri! bayalli neeru bartha ide nodi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ratio is different, How could someone store this chakkli for days? Good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very new to me namratha..looking crispy and yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look too good n healthy with moong dal..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once i had made moogdal-wheat flour chakli came out really good.
    Chaklis looking so good, i am drooling here. Nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. chakli's with moong dal is quite interesting.....!!!good one namrata

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was craving for some Y'day and I saw a Moong dal chakli recipe in Sify too. Looks so tasty and crispy, love to try it. Weather is lot better now, can fry on the deck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its been a long time since I made or had this... Nice pictures and they look very crisp... My first visit here, nice space shall keep visiting you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. namrata Chakli looks perfect & crispy ..lovely one of my fav

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never had or made chakli with cooked moong dal. Looks crispy and delicious. Will definitely try it. First time here. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these, but I've only had them out of a bag from the store... wish I could taste them homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never tried chakli. Your method seems interesting. Will try it out. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chakli! I need to eat them NOW! They look really good, Namrata. And not thought of Moong Dal at all. Will surely try these.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin