Sringeri Halwa

Note: I'm having some issues uploading pics and editing my blog, please bear with me while I try to figure it out. Ignore the extra large fonts on the blog title and side bar.
Now onto the halwa.For as long as I can remember, Sringeri halwa was made at home when there was an unexpected guest. It still is. All it needs is a couple of hours to set and its ready to eat; it’s as easy as making Jell-O. We’ve always known it as Sringeri Halwa. Sringeri is a small city in the state of Karnataka known for the historic temples.When I made this halwa a couple of weeks ago, I googled to see what I could find more on the ‘Sringeri Halwa’ and to my surprise I found out that no such halwa is made in Sringeri… :-D!! I had to ask mom what the story behind the halwa was….and more surprisingly, there was none. She didn’t know how the name came about either, but she did mention maybe someone from Sringeri was visitng and they made the halwa or something like that (So much for making this when there is a guest!) I told her I was going to put this on my blog and I didn’t want someone from Sringeri telling me “Hey, we don’t make this halwa”. So mom and I went back and forth trying to rechristen this halwa – sadly no luck there, even after suggestions like 8 ingredient halwa, cornflour halwa (yes it is!). I finally stuck to Sringeri Halwa, sounds better…made in Sringeri or not!


Cornstarch is probably the last ingredient you would expect an entire halwa to be made up of, trust me this one is sure to surprise you. The key is the proportions and it’s a breeze to make.

You will need:

1 cup Cornstarch (Corn flour)
1 ½ cups Sugar
2 cups Milk
2 cups Water
1 tsp Cardamom powder
2 tsp ghee plus more for greasing plates
1 tsp Cashew bits
1 tsp Raisins

Grease two 8 inch wide, shallow plates with ghee. Heat 2tsp ghee in a small pan, add the cashew bits and raisins, fry till cashews are light brown and raisins are bloated. Set aside.

In a heavy deep saucepan combine cornstarch, milk, water and sugar. Stir to combine and then place pan on medium heat. Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes till the mixture thickens to form a paste. When you push the mixture with your spatula, it should stand on one end, for a few seconds atleast. This is the consistency required for it to set up. Add more sugar if required. Stir in the cardamom powder. Remove from heat. Divide mixture between the two plates, and smooth out evenly. Let cool for 15 minutes and then refrigerate for 2 hours.

Cut into slices using a sharp knife. Top with cashews and raisins.

The texture is smooth and on the first bite it’s hard to taste at all, with the second bite you know its sweet and the cardamom hits in.

16 comments:

  1. hey namratha,its looking very cool recipie.I never heard this type of halwa,surely i'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Nams..Even I do prepare this at home...so easy to prepare and non-messy one...Urs look absolutely gorgeous dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet with cornstarch is new to me. My aunt used to make a sweet looking like this one but she used china grass I suppose. Isn't this lot simpler? yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. superagide kanri ..btw did not know its name though have eaten it umpteen times..'hesralli enide bidi'antha yarannu kele irlilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Namratha,
    I love sringeri halwa, I've eaten this earlier didn't know cornstarch goes into making this gorgeous looking sweet, though I've never made it at home yet...the snaps def. are tempting me to make it sometime.
    Keep rocking :)
    I'll see u more often henceforth :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so gud and perfect..wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty looking halwa, and so easy too. Blogger is giving you issues as well? I'm thinking of shifting to wordpress now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting indeed... Never quite thought of using cornflour in Halwas. Looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd not heard of Sringeri Halwa. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Humm awesome recipe and this halwa looks mouth-drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Namratha,what an interesting recipe. I've not heard of Sringeri Halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a new recipe to me...should try it..will send it to my sis too. btw. loved the way the name came about!..i think all families have something like this...and you grow up thinking it is a traditional name..only to realise it was made up by your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks nice, and interesting main ingredient! It makes a pretty dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried this Namratha. It was really nice. Thanks for such a simple & nice halwa. I shall post this in my blog too. Will inform you then :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey namratha, i tried this recipe and came out very gud... Thanks for such a nice & quick recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin