CCC Rasam & Garlicky Eggplant

Nothing is more satisfying than a home-made lunch, a South Indian one in particular. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate thaali to make it comforting. A simple meal of hot rice, aromatic rasam, an accompanying veggie side dish, yoghurt and Ajji’s Avvakayi pickle…aahhhh bliss!


This afternoon, after a really long time, I made a new rasam which my mom-in-law told me about. It was a change from the usual rasams I make. Made with Cumin seeds, Corriander seeds and Coconut; hence the name CCC Rasam. To go along with it I made an Eggplant side dish.




You will need:

For the Cumin, Corriander, Coconut Rasam:



Pressure cook: (till dal is soft)

½ cup Tuar Dal

1 Tomato chopped

Dry roast:

1 tsp Cumin seeds

1 tsp Corriander seeds

5 Green chillies


¼ cup Coconut

Salt to taste

Few curry leaves

Chopped cilantro

A small piece jaggery

1 tsp Tamarind paste


Mustard seasoning: Mustard fried in a teaspoon of oil with a dash of asafoetida (hing)


Powder the dry roasted seeds in a blender. Add the roasted green chillies, coconut and coriander. Also add the boiled tuar dal and tomatoes. Blend together till the dal is completely mashed.


Transfer to a vessel and bring to a simmering boil on medium high heat. Add the jaggery, tamarind paste, salt and curry leaves. Bring to a full boil and then turn off heat. Add mustard seasoning.


Garlicky Eggplant:



1-2 long eggplants, washed and stemmed

½ tsp Mustard seeds

2 Garlic cloves, grated

1 tsp Chilli powder

2 tsp Oil

Salt to taste


Heat oil in a non stick pan, add mustard seeds. Cut eggplant into bite size pieces. When they begin to splutter, add cubed eggplant and toss to coat with oil. Cook on medium heat till the eggplant is soft. Add the grated garlic, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and let the garlic cook for a while. Remove from heat.


This was a perfect meal for a lazy Saturday afternoon. I think its time for a siesta! (Yawn)..


12 comments:

  1. U knw am breaking my head on wht to cook for lunch and this is so perfect...love the rasam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks tasty... and eggplants are always a favorite of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog, Namratha. I like your acronym for the rasam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly sampoorna bhojan! :) but where is Roti Nam? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No rotis in South Indian thali Sonu :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that garlicky eggplant looks like my thing, really! its calling out to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Palatte looks inviting! Great Dishes!

    I have nominated you for Kreativ Blogger Award. Kindly Check my blog.

    http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. home-made lunch is best and this thali is making me just hundry..it's lunch time here LOL..
    and i liked the beautiful pictures you shared with us in previous posts ...thanks for that..i am sure this is even much more beautiful and breath-taking in real..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious meal. My perfect comfort food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi
    good recipes with colourful pictures. recently ihave started to blog Karnataka recipes.
    my blog name is RUCHI BY MGM

    and blog url is http://mgmruchi.blogspot.com
    can visit the blog and give me suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liked the rasam a lot Nams, had made it today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so quick to make and yet delicious! I will be making this for dinner tonight. I love eggplants!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin