Purple Cabbage Rice


Purple Cabbage and purple potatoes, they fascinate me a lot…purple being my favorite color. These are something you don’t see often in India, so the first time I came across them I was quite taken aback. I was skeptical too about even trying them until a friend assured me they tasted the same though they looked different. So this time around instead of buying the good ol’ white cabbage I picked the purple one. 



I usually make Cabbage Stir Fry, but this time made Cabbage Rice. You can make this rice using White Cabbage too, the taste remains the same. But there is something about the flecks of purple running through this green aromatic rice which is not only a visual treat but one for the taste buds too. 

You will need:

2 cups shredded Purple Cabbage
2 tbsp Oil
½ tsp Mustard seeds
½ tsp Urad Dal
½ tsp Chana Dal
Few curry leaves
1 onion, sliced

To grind into a paste:

3 cloves
½” piece Cinnamon
6 Green chillies
2 cloves Garlic
1” piece Ginger
A Handful cilantro

1 Cup Basmati Rice, washed and cooked in 1.5 cups water



Heat the oil in a deep pan. Add the mustard seeds and when it begins to splutter, add the urad and chana dals. Add the curry leaves and onions, sauté until done. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft. Now add the prepared paste and sauté for a minute until fragrant. Season with salt and add the cooked rice. Combine well and serve hot with a cucumber raitha. 


You can increase the number of green chillies if you like your rice to be spicier.

12 comments:

  1. This is totally interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabbage is one of my fav veggie and flavoured cabbage rice will be amazing. bookmarked. will try sometime for sure.

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice rice...even I tried this rice once wid purple cabbage....looks yummm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel like grabbing that bowl of rice ...looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks spicy and delicious dear...
    love to give a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful bowl, filling and healthy rice..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy and tempting rice..makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely delicious. I love the idea and use of purple cabbage as it gives nice color and great ground paste too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea! it would add an interesting flavor to the rice ! thanks for the lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very new dish..Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds to be a healthy one.... Nice recipe... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful and new combo. Looks good. I love the color of purple. I would like to invite you to our "Quick and easy recipe mela" and enter your recipe. We would be glad to see your participation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin