Chocolate Cake Truffles


I bake a lot for friends and family as well as for my cake business. Which means at any given point of time there is leftover cake in my refrigerator. I know many who would look at me wide-eyed at the mention of leftover cake… I mean its all polished off…what is leftover cake?!:D Haha… I wish I could say that too but when you are around cake all the time, you wouldn’t eat it as much.

This is one of the best ways to put that cake to use. Chocolate Cake Truffles ....chocolate in every bite, every chocolate lovers' dream! 





You will need:
Makes: 20-25 Cake truffles 

2 cups chocolate cake, crumbled
¼-1/2 cup chocolate buttercream/chocolate ganache
Ghirardelli Melting wafers or Semi-sweet chocolate(see Note)

1 baking sheet lined with parchment paper

Note: You can use Ghiradelli’s Melting wafers or Semi-sweet chocolate. I liked the melting wafers, they were easy to use and left a nice shine on the truffles once set and had a nice snap to it when bitten into. The semi-sweet chocolate dried matte once set and was softer. Both work well and taste good, so use either one. I did one batch with the wafers and a second batch with the semi-sweet chocolate.



Crumble the cake into a medium bowl. Add a scant ¼ cup of the chocolate buttercream or 3-4 tbsp of the Chocolate Ganache. Combine to form a smooth dough. Add more buttercream only if the mix feels too crumbly.  Break off into small pieces and roll into balls. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment. Chill for 2 hours.



In a heat proof bowl, add chopped chocolate or melting wafers. Microwave in 10 second bursts and stir after each burst until melted and smooth.

Remove cake balls from the refrigerator and dip one at a time, use a fork to lift the balls and tap off excess. Place on the lined sheet. Since the balls are cold the chocolate will set almost immediately. If you want to add nuts or sprinkles, work quickly and sprinkle them before the chocolate sets. 



Decorate:

These truffles are ready to eat as they are, but a little deco will create a professional look. My boys of course don’t care how it looks and are ready to eat them! I used a drizzle on top by melting candy melts and little shortening in the microwave. It should be free flowing from the spatula. Transfer it to a Ziploc bag, snip a tiny hole in the end and drizzle away. I prefer to do this while the truffles are still on the sheet, so the excess stays on the parchment and you get an even drizzle. 



This is for Srivalli's Kid's Delight event, guest hosted by Kalyani, themed on Chocolates.

  BMLogo


Enjoy the truffles! :) 

11 comments:

  1. Ah I was about to ask exactly how you can have any leftover cake..my kids eat only chocolate cake and nothing is left out anyway..however this one is surely something one can bake a cake to do...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect snack with cake.. My daughter will love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect looking truffles and beautifully made. Even I used to make cake pops whenever I have left over cakes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully made.. looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your truffles look perfect and delicious. Kids would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful looking truffles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How stunning those truffles looks, catchy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful truffles. Bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good recipe to try with left overs. I think, next time I will bake extra and save some to try these truffles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the perfect use for leftover cake. Those truffles look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty looking truffles!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin