Shahi Capsicum/Bell Pepper

This is one of mom’s recipes which I took from her on the day I was having friends over for dinner. As I had mentioned in one of my previous posts, my mom is the one I call no matter what query I have in cooking and more often when I am having guests over. She helps me decide the menu in a snap!


Bell peppers/Capsicum was a favourite growing up and even now. There are so many ways to cook it and no matter what you do with it, it still tastes good.


That night was the first time I made this and was very pleased with how it turned out, and so were my guests.



You will need


4 large Green(or a mix of coloured) Bellpeppers/Capsicum, washed and cut into 1” strips

4 Onions chopped

2 Cups Tomato Puree

6 Green chillies (ground to a paste)

2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste

2 tsp Red chilli powder

1 tsp Cumin powder

2 tsp Corriander powder

¼ tsp Garam Masala powder

¼ cup Cashew bits

1 tsp white poppy seeds (Khuskhus)

2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream

2 tsp Butter

¼ cup Oil

Salt to taste


Soak cashew bits and khuskhus in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.


Heat oil in a non stick pan and saute chopped onions till soft. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute. Add the bell pepper strips and ¼ tsp of salt. Saute for a couple of mintues and then add the tomato puree, green chill paste, coriander, cumin and red chilli powders. Add about a cup of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook, for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally till bell peppers are soft and done. Now stir in the cashew-khuskhus paste, cream and the butter. The paste should help the gravy thicken. Lastly add in the Garam Masala. Let simmer for a few more minutes. Check for seasoning and serve hot.



I had made Chapthis/Rotis to go along with this. I had yellow and orange peppers on hand too, so those went in with the green bell peppers.

Cooking the capsicum in the puree with the other spices, gives it great flavour.The resulting gravy is very creamy and tasty too.


9 comments:

  1. Nams, surely your guests wd hv had a great time with this rich capsicum curry! It looks so delectable..on my must list now! :D Tks for sharing, to u n ur Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bell pepper curries are so yummy... My mom loves when I make them... Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that curry sure looks Shahi/Royal...

    Happy New Year to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great Treat for ur guest, the gravy is rich and creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The curry looks delicious! Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a rich and creamy curry.. Look the silky goodness in the picture! I bet your guests were more than happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried out this recipe today. CAme out really good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin