Chinna Chaaru


Chaaru is the translation for Rasam in Telugu. I don't know how the name came about, but we've always known it this way. Chinna means 'Small'. My paternal grandmother often made this Rasam when we visited my Dad’s native which is on the border of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. This is basically a Tamarind based rasam, simple yet flavourful and very aromatic.



You will need:


2 tbsp Tamarind paste

3 Cups Water

Salt to taste

1 tbsp Jaggery, powdered


To be ground:

3 cloves of Garlic, minced

3 Guntur chillies

4 Byadige chillies

4 Whole peppercorns

1 tsp Cumin seeds

Seasoning:

1 tsp Oil

½ tsp Mustard seeds

¼ tsp Asafoetida


Dissolve the tamarind paste in the water. Add the ground paste to this and bring to a boil. Season with salt and add the powdered jaggery. Taste and if the rasam is too tart, add more jaggery. Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and when they begin to splutter add the asafoetida. Add this seasoning to the boiling rasam. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.



Serve hot with white rice.

Note: For some reason, when I publish a post, in Reader it shows up with a lot of error messages, please do stop by the blog and check the post if you are unable to see it in your Reader. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Namrata,
    Simplicity at it's best.Very apt for this season.Btw,was it a typo?Because,chinna is small in telugu and chintha is tamarind.Or as this is a simple rasam it is called chinna chaaru?

    ReplyDelete
  2. really it is tangy and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ajji calls it Hunise huli or Menasina saaru without red chillies though, I love it. Looks yummy, make me want to get up and make some.It's so cold here, 10F and snow on Monday, perfect day to make this and get warm! Brr...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sahiti, sorry, I should have elaborated more on the name. It is Chinna Chaaru, I will correct the title to avoid the confusion. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    It sure is Srilekha, try it!

    We make Menasina saaru too Asha, but that has onions and garlic pieces in it. Made differently too. Ohhh, that cold...phew! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see in my reader.
    I have never has rasom like this, the colour is more dark than the rasom i am used to.
    Looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must try rasam namratha, love this recipe and looks mouth-drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As HC said the color is darker, very simple and delicious one! Never made rasam like this one

    ReplyDelete
  8. Namratha,
    This charu is something very close to Menasina Saaru! Incidentally even my paternal grandparents hail from the Karnatka- Ap border reagion!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin