Chickpea Burgers

This recipe came into being when I was all set to make Black bean burgers, and later realized I was out of black beans!! I decided to make the burgers with Chickpeas and see how they turn out. And the result was lip smacking good.

You will need:

2 (16 oz) cans Chickpeas, drained
½ cup Green Bell pepper diced
½ cup Yellow onion diced
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 Egg (optional)
½ cup Bread crumbs (plain)
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Olive oil


Non-stick spray
8 Burger buns
Slices of Tomato
Slices of Cucumber
Slices of Sharp Cheddar cheese

In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas. To this add the bell pepper, onions, chilli powder, salt, pepper, egg, bread crumbs and the olive oil. Combine and shape into eight ½ inch thick patties.

Heat a grill pan. If you don't have one use a regular flat non-stick pan. Spray oil. Place two patties at a time and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. When both the sides are done, place a slice of cheddar on top, while the burgers are on the grill. Remove just before the cheese melts completely. Place on toasted bun halves, top with a few slices each of tomato and cucumber. Place other bun half on top and serve alongside fries or potato chips. You can use a toothpick to keep all the layers in place between the bun.

Note: If you are not using the egg, then use more of the breadcrumbs to make sure the mixture holds and doesn't break apart in the pan.

You can also use mayo or any spread on the toasted bun halves before assembling to add more flavour. I have used garlic mayo.

Dig in! :D

19 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try making this - one set with chick peas and the other with black beans. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. an event for icecreams and milkshakes is going in my blog! participate in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Namratha,I love the chickpea patty and the burger looks really good, Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chickpeas burgers, tht sounds intresting. i have made kalachana kabaabs, never chickpeas. nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make black eyed bean burgers..Will try with chickpeas..Burger looks beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recipe....and nice pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are so tempting.. I too posted a chickpea burger earlier in my blog.. do check it when you get time. Will try your version too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often make bean burgers: they are so nutritious and delicious, and I'd take them over their meaty counterparts any day. Nice recipe, Namratha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love bean burgers! I like the idea of making them with chickpeas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldnt resist this recipe, tried it right away, and it came out so good, thanks Nams!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love bean burger made it too :) Got to try ur chickpeas too, they re perfect

    ReplyDelete
  12. Namratha
    Congratulations on your innovative thought ! And healthy, too ! Thanks for sharing the idea, eh !

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious looking burgers.. nice recipe.. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. burger look very yummy, your recipes are great:) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. very creative idea...wud luv to try them

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds and looks yummy :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    I tasted this last year, now I have the recipe.. thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi i tried this recipe today..it was superb..thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin