A for ANZAC Biscuits I How to make ANZAC Biscuits - Day 1


If you’ve read some of my recent posts from the past month you would know I’ve been taking part in a blog event called the Blogging Marathon. This month’s marathon is a Mega Blogging Marathon. A group of us have taken on the challenge to explore Bakes from Around the World..sounds easy right..the catch ..the dishes have to be in alphabetical order, and no repeating a country more than twice. Easier would have been to pick 12 countries and make 2 dishes each, but I figured this was a wonderful opportunity to explore 26 countries, where possible. The challenging part was finding dish names from A-Z. Few were very easy and few took a whole lot of browsing and reading every cook book, baking book I own!

This entailed a lot of planning and from over a month ago. Researching recipes, making a list (that got edited one too many times) and then the baking began! I’m a stickler for lists anyway so sticking to this one was easier than I thought. 

So sit back and enjoy my journey for the next 26 days (barring Sundays), where I will take you around the world through baked goods..sweet and savory. 

My first bake, A for ANZAC Biscuits from Australia. These are crisp delicious cookies named after the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps established during World War I. History states that wives sent these to soldiers abroad since the ingredients don’t spoil easily and these biscuits had a long shelf life. (Source: Wikipedia)




These biscuits were crisp, light and had the perfect amount of sweetness.

You will need:
½ recipe yields: 16 biscuits
Recipe adapted from here 

1.25 Cups All-purpose Flour, sifted
1 cup Rolled Oats
½ cup Caster Sugar
¾ cup Dessicated coconut
150g Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp golden Syrup * - see note
1.5 Tbsp Water
½ tsp Baking soda

Note: I didn’t have golden syrup on hand. Found a substitute that works – combine 2 tbsp Light corn syrup with 1 tbsp Molasses. Use as needed.




Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine flour, rolled oats, sugar and coconut in a medium bowl. Combine baking soda and water in a separate bowl. In a small pan, heat the butter and syrup until butter has melted. Add the dissolved soda water and turn off heat. Add this to the flour mix. Combine well to make a soft dough. Roll into small balls and place on lined sheet with enough room between them. The biscuits will spread while baking.




Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container. 




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75


Enjoy these crunchy biscuits and munch on to the next bake.

13 comments:

  1. It is marvelous that you were able to stick to the list. I am half way done through baking and still changing my list every day :) Love the Anzac cookies for its flavor and texture. Can't wait to see your other bakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed more than baking getting the recipe and doing R & D is the toughest part I just completed 20 % of my bake !! Glad you have finalized the list!! And the cookies looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like these cookies are as popular in our marathon as they were during the World wars :)
    I am in awe to your habit of sticking to a list. I have an excel sheet where I have numerous versions of my lists which has changed over a month and is still not final to this day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Anzac cookies are the most popular for the first day of the marathon. I made them too :-) looking forward to all your creations this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are my favorite cookies and it is amazing to see so many of you making it for the marathon. Yours look amazing!
    And kudos to you that you stick to the list...I have 3-4 lists and sometimes I am not sure which is my final one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies seem to be a hit, obviously I have to book mark, they look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same pinch! I to made these cookies! This one seems to be the star for A!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure how I missed leaving my comment here Nams. It's really so wonderful that you were able to find all your bakes and sticking to it as well. Mine kept changing as the deadline came closer and I resorted to easy ones. These Anzac biscuits have been on my todo list for a while. And now that so many of you baked, I need to do it soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful start to the marathon and I am amazed that you are able to stick to the list. Mine is ever changing. These biscuits looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly loved all the variations of the Anzac biscuits... My list kept changing and I guess I have the final one now. ;-) With few more bakes to go I might change it again lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anzac are the popular ones for first day. Yours have turned out very nice. When it comes to planning I am too lazy to do that. Did all the preparations two days before.
    Looking forward to seeing your bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats great to join Bm with us, welcome to Mega marathon Namratha. Anzac biscuits looks fabulous to kick start this 26 days of blogging. Wat a lovely pick for A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only have the list ready. I am kind of baking every day... Anzan biscuits loos awesome. Good choice for A.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin