U for UGNSPANNKAKA Swedish Pancakes - Day 21


Pancakes are a breakfast time favorite with my boys. I make them quite often and they sometimes eat it even for dinner! Pancakes are usually made on a griddle or pan. Ugnspannkaka is a Swedish style pancake that's baked in the oven. Baking it gives it a crisp exterior and soft interior. It's served with Lingonberry jam which is a staple in Sweden. 

U for UGNSPANNKAKA - SWEDEN

Ugnspannkaka is traditionally baked in a flat wide pan.You are probably expecting a flat pancake here but this is what I have! :D



I was planning on making 3 separate layers so I could stack them like the pancake stack we are accustomed to seeing. Well this is where the 'plan' ended. I used 3 small Wilton 4" pans. I figured the batter would rise and at the most overflow, which was fine. I also had a larger sheet pan to catch the overflow just in case. 

What happened in the oven sent me into panic mode.. almost! :D The batter rose and rose.. and formed a pancake 'bowl' .. haha! I thought it was going to collapse immediately since there was no pan to hold it up on the sides. Thankfully it kept its shape so we have pancake 'bowls' instead of a flat pancake. So no stack, I present to you Ugnspannkaka bowl!! :) This is probably the first Swedish pancake bowl ever! 



You will need: 
Makes: 3 four-inch bowls

1/2 cup All- purpose Flour
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/2 cup Whole milk 
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla extract 
2 tbsp Butter,melted 


Preheat oven to 400F. 

Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Lightly beat the egg, milk and vanilla extract in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mix and whisk until smooth and lump free.  Melt the butter. Add half of it to the batter and combine. Pour the remaining butter into a pan (or pans like I did) Pour the prepared batter and bake for 14-16 minutes. I went a few minutes over and it browned up but was still delicious. 

Now filling these bowls is like topping a pancake.. get creative and let your tastebuds guide you. 



I filled up these bowls with chopped strawberries and blueberries tossed in a tablespoon of powdered sugar. Topped it with some whipped cream and drizzled honey all over the bowl and fruit. A light shower of powdered sugar on the top made it completely festive and special. It was not too sweet and just perfect. I'm glad the pancakes decided to rise and create something I didn't plan to. 







10 comments:

  1. Unplanned delicacies are the best! The pancake bowls look cute. My daughter is a pancake fan too...will surely try this baked version for her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with sowmya.. Love the pancake bowl... these are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can guess the panic while baking, however this pancake bowls looks so cute and pretty as well. I love the way you have presented this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such unexpected treats are welcome anytime :) Good that you used them up sinfully !

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha..love that pancake bowl, new invention came up, looks sinful with the way you have jazzed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hhahah..you are hilarious!..I love your pancake bowls and you have decorated it so well, I won't mind having it right now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tongue twister name for these pancake 'bowls'. They look similar to Dutch baby pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pancake bowls looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha!!! very hillarious. Loved the pancake bowls..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pan cake bowls sounds delicious and the filling is ultimate..

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin