WOYP Day # 46 Belgian Chocolate Mousse Pudding


I’m very often left with a ton of cake scraps or trimmings, after I’ve made custom cakes, and my boys rarely leave much behind for me to make anything out of it but there is a rare occasion now and then when I need to put it to good use. I’ve made Cake Truffles before, and used Vanilla cake scraps in a Trifle Pudding.

We met up with friends over the weekend for lunch and I took this as dessert. Chocolate cake layered with a rich Belgian Chocolate Mousse and topped with fresh strawberries and more crumbled cake. 


I didn’t want to call this a Chocolate Mousse cake since I’m not baking a layer of cake as the base but using cake crumbs instead. So I felt it was a pudding. Either way, it turned out great and every one loved it! Having said that, you can bake this rich Chocolate Cake and use that as a base instead.

It is important to use good quality chocolate in this mousse, since there are only 3 ingredients and the chocolate flavor shines through well. The mousse will taste only as good as the chocolate you use. I used Cote D’or Belgian Milk Chocolate. Use a fine quality bar chocolate and you are good to go. Do not use chocolate chips. 


Belgian Chocolate Mousse Pudding:  
 
For the Cake base:
You will need:

3 cups Chocolate cake crumbs
1 tbsp Chocolate icing *

*If you don’t have icing use a 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate

Set aside 2 tablespoons of the cake crumbs for topping. Combine the remaining cake crumbs and icing (or melted chocolate). The mixture when squeezed in your palms should hold shape. If it is still crumbly then add more icing or melted chocolate. Press this mixture evenly in a deep pan or glass dish. I used a Pyrex glass container. Chill for an hour. I went ahead with the mousse and chilled after assembling all the layers since I was pressed for time.

For the Mousse: 
You will need:

6 oz Belgian chocolate Dark/ Milk or Semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tbsp Unsalted butter
1 cup cold Heavy whipping cream (36%-46% fat)
1 tsp pure Vanilla extract

Heat 2 inches of water in a deep pan. Bring to a simmering boil. Meanwhile place the mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator to chill.

Add the chopped chocolate and butter in a glass bowl. Set the bowl on the simmering water taking care the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Stir to melt the chocolate and butter until smooth and shiny. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. 


Whip the heavy cream in the chilled bowl with the vanilla until soft peaks form. Add little bit of this whipped cream into the melted chocolate and fold to lighten the chocolate. Add the remaining whipped cream and gently fold to combine well until no streaks remain.
Spread the mousse over the cake base and smooth the top. 



Top with sliced strawberries and the reserved cake crumbs. Chill for 3-4 hours or more. Slice and serve. Since I had to travel 40 minutes with the pudding in the sweltering Atlanta heat, I froze the pudding for 2 hours before we started so that the mousse wouldn’t start melting and once we reached my friend’s place, it was in the refrigerator until ready to eat. It was perfect to slice! 


The next time you have leftover cake (if that ever happens in your house :D) do give this a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin