Rasmalais



Last weekend I had a catering order for Rasmalais. I was glad I had an excuse to make these yummy beauties and the best part is that, this is the only sweet my hubby will lay his hands on…all the others are frowned upon. So it was a good chance for me to ‘woo’ him with these cold, melt-in-the mouth Rasmalais. ;)




You will need: (Makes 22-24)


8 Cups Whole Milk

1/3 cup Lime/Lemon juice or Vinegar

4 Cups Water

1 ½ Cups Sugar


For the Ras:

4 cups Milk

½ cup Sugar

1/8 tsp Lemon Yellow food colour

¼ tsp Cardamom powder

Sliced Pistachios and Almonds


Bring milk to a boil on medium heat. When it comes to a boil, stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Stir till the milk curdles and the whey is separated. Let sit for 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth and drain. Immediately rinse under cold water to remove the citric taste.


Squeeze out as much water as possible, tie in a knot and let sit in the colander for 20-30 minutes. The less water the better.


Once the water has been drained completely, remove the soft paneer from the cloth onto a smooth clean kneading surface. At this stage the paneer will be crumbly and will not hold shape.

Begin to knead gently, and continue to do so until the entire mass comes together into a ball. At this stage, as you knead, your palms should become greasy.

Pinch off a small piece and roll into a ball. If the ball holds shape then your paneer is ready to be used in the next stage.


Bring water and sugar to a rolling boil in a clean pressure cooker. Divide the paneer into 22-24 pieces and roll into a smooth ball.

If the ball breaks apart, knead and then roll into a ball. Slightly flatten the ball for Rasmalais.


Drop these balls into the boiling sugar syrup one at a time. These balls will double in size when done, so make sure there is enough room in your pressure cooker. Do them in two batches to avoid crowding. Close lid and turn heat to high. Place weight on lid and after one whistle, turn heat to low and cook for 7 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool completely before you handle the Rasmalai patties. Once cooled, refrigerate overnight. I prefer to do this so that the patties will hold well in the milk instead of breaking up.


Bring the 4 cups of milk to a boil on low heat, stir continuously to avoid burning.Stir in the sugar and cardamom powder. Also add the food colouring. The 4 cups of milk have to be reduced to around 2 ½ - 3 cups, this takes around 25-30 minutes. Yup takes time but well worth the wait. Squeeze out excess syrup from the patties and drop them in the milk once it has thickened. Let the patties boil for 3-4 minutes in the milk. Turn off heat. Transfer carefully to a container and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or more. Garnish with slice pistachios and almonds before serving.


I made around 50 of these last weekend, was a good experience! :) I didn't have time to take individual pics, hence these in a foil tray ready for pick up.

35 comments:

  1. Wow rasmalai is too good:) I am gonna prepare it tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rasamalai is very tempting..my favourite..Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow very temtpting and looks proffessional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the opposite problem... If it's sweet, my husband will eat anything! These look really awesome, Namratha! One of my all time fave sweets, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nam could u parcel to me ? Is that fair to enjoy alone. He he, they are awesome Dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!mouthwatering rasamalais dear....so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nams this is awesome I would love to try this.How long does it take for Paneer to come into a solid shape, how much time did you kneed ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Namratha, this is my first time here and I liked these rasmalais ..My husband will love this for sure ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Namratha, I'm seriously drooling over those beauties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Namratha, muje bhejo yaar rasmalai. looks mouthwatering dear :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    Rasamalais look delicious!! given tips will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've got to try this!! bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the creamy beauties!!! I make rasamalai , but with ricotta cheese. I gotta try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wowwwwww nami !! awesome kane !! u have done it from the scratch !! simply superb !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look so tempting...I want them now

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks perfect. You made 50 of these from scratch...WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my God....my mouth is watering just looking at the pics!!! Where do you stay? Can I drop by for a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look so delicious...after seeing rasmalais in so many blogs..i am tempted to try them..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rasamalai is mouthwatering...like the step by step instructions

    ReplyDelete
  21. good u have shown step by step pictures. now i can try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My oh my such temptation and I love it!! One beautiful dessert :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love this one...You are torturing me now, with these beautiful pictures. Wish we were neighbors!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Namratha, I really envy you. The rasamalai looks awesome and I have no doubts that it tasted very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Roopa, tell me how it goes :)

    Glad to hear that Rupa:)

    Thanks Pearlsofeast:)

    Thanks Divya:)

    Hehe really Kalai? :D Thanks!!

    Oh I would love to Cham, but they surely won't reach u as Rasmalais :D Come on over, we can have some together :)

    Thanks Dhivya :)

    Thanks Sreelu dear, it takes around 5-8 minutes depending on how dry your paneer is. The indication is the fat on your hands, that's a good time to stop and check if it will hold shape as a ball.

    Thanks Divya and its my pleasure to have u over :)

    :) Sunita..you are always making us drool with your goodies..

    Would love to Madhavi...aa jao milke khayenge

    Thanks Usha, do try it. Pleasure to have u over :)

    Ohh dooo try it Nags, you will love it! :)

    Ricotta is a good bet too Dee, but does it hold up well?Try this.

    Thanks Shubhs:)

    Thanks E..hehe...all yours :P

    Thanks Jayashree...:)

    Hehe, thanks Homecooked, do come by...always welcome :)

    thanks Soumya, do try this!

    Thanks Kamala:)

    My pleasure Anjali :)

    Thanks Rosie:)

    Hehe, sweet torture Meera dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look simply beautiful Nams! I made them too last year for Diwali:) we just love rasmalai!! and I didn't know you took catering orders too!! hmm...gotta keep in mind for next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is my fav!!!
    i can have the for breakfast, lunch n dinner... it looks perfect!!!
    totally mouth watering.. im on my way out to the nearest restaurant to eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Namrata, I tried these,frm scratch over two days,allowing standing-seating time! They were yummyyyyyy! This is a keeper!! Tks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Came over from Purnima's blog to look at these..They sure look awesome Namrata..Gotta try this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  30. omg this looks so yum,...gonna try thi soon...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. omg this looks so yum,...gonna try thi soon...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks a lot for this wonderful recipe Namratha.....Kudos to u :)
    The procedure you have listed here is very clear and its very easy for the beginer like me :) I prepared this sweet it came out so soft and so tasty omg i can't believe it....Once again Thanks Nams :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. First time here. Rasamalai looks really yummy and delicious.Wll sure try this one.Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin