Methi Malai Mattar


Back in India fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) is available in tiny bunches and the leaves are tiny too. Here we get large bunches with very visible leaves, and one bunch usually seems to last forever! It was not until recently that I found Methi was actually available here in the US too, ya ya I hadn't been looking in the right places before! :D Now that I had found Methi leaves, I finally made this curry which I had been meaning to try since long.




You will need:

1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh peas, boiled
½ cup Whipping cream
¼ cup Yoghurt
10 cashews soaked in hot water, and ground to a smooth paste
1 onion chopped
3 green chillies
1 pod garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp. garam masala powder
1 tbsp. oil

Bring a pot of water to boil and add the chopped methi leaves, cover and simmer for a minute. Drain, squeeze out excess water, separate leaves and set aside. In a blender make a smooth paste of the onions, garlic and green chillies.

Heat oil in a pan, add the prepared paste. Saute for a minute till fragrant. Now add the fenugreek leaves, boiled peas, cashew paste and garam masala powder. Season with salt to taste. Saute for a few minutes. In a small bowl combine the whipping cream and the yoghurt. Beat till smooth. Add this to the pan and bring to a simmer. Stir while it simmers and let gravy thicken.

Serve hot with Rotis/Rice/Naans.

29 comments:

  1. I never made this dish before... Looks creamy and delicous Nam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm This is one recipe, I need to try. I tried another recipe before ooh God what a disaster that was... I just stopped even trying to imagine it :o)
    I just dream of all those creamy curries we used to have in India otherwise... :oP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methi in cream....looks delicious namratha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made this before, but it looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm looks so tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, here till now i too have not found them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Yummy...I will try out soon..Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. now, namratha, won't it be neat to make methi leaves on a cake with icing? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Methi Malai Mattar looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Namratha..the dish looks creamy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really Cham? Do try it!!

    Try this one Raki :)

    Thanks Kamala :)

    Thanks Kalai, do try it! :)

    Thanks Dhivya:)

    Ohh look in your local farmers market Happy, you should find it there..it will look diff and a diff name too...

    Thanks Rupa:)

    Bee, that's a brilliant idea, I'm sending one your way designed exactly as u've suggested :D Wait for the mail man..hehe

    Thanks Trupti and Divya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had methi leaves... what do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely dish Namratha!! Reminds me of good old days.. My sister makes it really good but she has not shared her secret recipe!! there is a zing in her methi mutter malai that i could never figure out! but will definitely try your recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's a nice recipe, Namratha! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. rich and creamy...methi in it makes it all the more tempting

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great, creamy and very tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my fav too.. luks nice

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's Lunch time here.. i just want to grab this from your page..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so good Namratha!! Keep these great recipes rolling in :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my favorite dishes, and one time I spent a whole week making it daily until I found the right recipe to get the taste I wanted...which was before I found food blogs and used books. I will have to try your version soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember eating them in Lalitha Paratha in Blore!
    they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. not a methi lover, so havent ventured there :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a very new recipe for me... I haven't had methi as a main ingredient in any dish...

    ReplyDelete
  24. yummy~! I love curry & Indian food!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wowww looks great!! will try making Methi muttar very soon! thanks alot Nami for the recipe and yummyyy looking photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The color is quite different from what i had got...looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are bitter Cynthia, it is important to cook them well before or while using it in any dish. Methi leaves are Fenugreek leaves. Not sure if you will find them where you live.

    Thanks Eco-Smith, pleasure to have you over too:)

    Thanks Uma:)

    Thanks Rachel:)

    Thanks Madhavi:)

    Thanks Smn:)

    Hehe, go ahead Lavi, its all yours ;)

    Thanks Rosie, will keep 'em coming :)

    Wow Meeso, this only says how much you love it!! Do try this version too:)

    :) Thanks Suman!

    Hmm I wasn't once upon a time too Nags, but after several dishes there has been no looking back!

    Thanks Lina, pleasure to have you over:)

    Thanks Shubhs, do try it :)

    Yes E, I remember having seen this dish on ur blog too long ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm..delicious..love the creamy texture ..methi is very frequently cooked in my kitchen..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmm..delicious..love the creamy texture ..methi is very frequently cooked in my kitchen..

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin