Pineapple Habanero Jelly

The last time I was at the Farmer’s Market I was drawn towards these bright coloured peppers and for some reason bought a pack of them too. Like all other things which reach my pantry with no pre-determined use or destination, the habaneros snugly sat in my fridge. The week after I bought them we were at Le gourmet Chef, a store which meets culimary needs and I happened to taste a Pineapple Habanero Jelly, which was very tasty.

The sweet from the pineapples hit the palette first and then came the fiery hot from the habaneros. Cute and small they are, but don’t take these Habaneros for granted; there's more heat packed in there than you think! A little sure goes a long way.

The taste of this jelly lingered in my mind for a long time and the next time I saw the habaneors peeking at me from behind the gazillion other stuff in the fridge, I knew I had to make this jelly. I set about looking for a recipe online and came across this one.

I have never made Jams or Jellies at home before this so I had to rely on what I've seen to get the right consistency.

You will need:

15 habaneros, seeded and deveined (any colour, I used Orange)
1 orange bell pepper (or a bell pepper the same color as the habaneros)

4 cups cubed pineapple
1 cup Distilled Vinegar
5 cups sugar
3-4 tbsp Fruit Pectin
Pinch of salt

In a blender, chop up the habaneros, bell pepper, pineapple and vinegar. Bring to a boil on medium high heat in a non-stick pan. Add fruit pectin and stir. The mixture should thicken as you boil.

For the above mentioned quantity of fruit:sugar:habanero, the quantity of pectin used was sufficient. You can increase/decrease it depending on how well your mixture thickens as you bring to a boil.

Pectin is basically a gelling agent used in the preparation of jams and jellies. It is available in most grocery stores.


The Pineapple Habanero Jelly serves well as a dip for Torilla chips, salted Pretzels or anything else you can think of pairing this with.


Fire up your taste buds!! :D

45 comments:

  1. This sounds great and I love the color! Pineapple and Habanero sound like they would pair up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a good combo! I can imagine the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of this recipe..Should have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look fabulous. It would be such a good bread spread too.I like it- hot and sweet.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow namratha!!!the photos and the recipe are mind blowing!!i love it..will definitely make these..will be very good as party starters!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Namaratha,

    I was actually looking for a easy jam recipe. This one looks absolutely stunning.
    I will certainly try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jelly looks yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, simply superb! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Meeso, they do...they make a perfect combination, a very tasty one too!

    It sure is Suman, tastes different!

    Thanks Divya, it sure tastes gr8!

    Absolutely T, you can even eat it off with a spoon :D

    Thanks Ranji, do try it!:)

    Thanks Pearlsofeast, do try it.

    Thank you Kamala and Uma:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I left a comment but it disappeared :(( May be it was too fiery ur jelly Dear. Habanero one of the hottest pepper, how could u leave in fridge for weeks Nam??? Make some fiery omelette too ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these two flavours. gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love these two flavours. gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hot and sweet. my favourite combo of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Colourfull Jelly..awesome pictures..last one is tempting me more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. too good namratha...that looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  16. am sure that explodes like a bomb on the tongue!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow gr8 recipe Namratha....we can basically serve this with any snack.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a whole lot of habaneros.....aren't they super-super-hot???
    Looks good, though....

    ReplyDelete
  19. 15 habaneros? I am tempted, though we don't get habaneros here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow thats a hot jelly, just the way I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thats looks delicious.. i dont feel like leaving ur blog and ur pictures :) i loved ur blog. im adding ur to my fav bloggers list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks delicious.... great pics.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds as well as looks great

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heat from habaneros and sweetness from pineapple - what a creative use!! Must have tasted yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks delicious namratha and what a great colour!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful combo here!! Love that last pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,
    Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
    blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
    ) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
    contact me at ashishbaldua4@gmail.com to know more.

    thx-Ashish

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thats a nice entry. should this dish once.do visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 15 habaneros? are you crazy? I'm from Texas and we like habaneros, but 15? in a single bowl of dip? 99% of the other recipes available call for anywhere from 1/2 tsp to maybe 3 whole peppers.

    Holy frijoles!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just found this - I'm hosting a canning party next wkend and wanted to make a strawberry pepper jelly - do you think I could just substitute it for the pineapple? It looks wonderful and I LOVE spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ms Pink, I don't see why you can't substitute with strawberries, you may need to add more pectin or cook it more to get the jelly consistency since the strawberries will have more juices. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Did you can this? And if you did, did you use a regular, 10-minute boiling bath?

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ Walter, for the amount of sugar and pineapple, you need that many habaneros to give it the heat. If you think it will be too much to handle, cut back on them.

    @ Jensings, I did can them and yes, I used the 10-min boiling bath.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another good thing to do with this is pour it over cream cheese and serve with crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fresh or canned pineapple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh preferrably, that way the natural gelling properties are at their highest. If you do use canned, drain the liquid & you may need to add more fruit pectin. Also adjust cooking time.

      Delete
  37. I made this today. I put the sugar in after the fruit/pectin had boiled for a minute. And it made seven half-pint jars.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm going to make this again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Round three, coming up. :-) Everyone clamors for this in their Christmas gift basket now. The most common use is on Chinese food. But I have one friend who makes PB&J with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this worked out so well for you:) PB&J, now why didn't I think of that.. I'm sure I'll love it!

      Delete
  40. When to you add the sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, add the sugar after the fruit pectin. Will edit to update.

      Delete
  41. I love your blog especially this recipe! Would you mind if I mention it in my blog?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin