Rasgollas:


We had a wonderful weekend getaway at Savannah and Tybee Island. We even snuck away to Hilton Head while we were down South. It definitely was a much awaited break away from work and the rhetorical everyday grind. I’m back relaxed and ready to cook again..hehe!


Back to the Rasgollas, I had made some last week but didn’t have time to write about it. Ever since I learned the easy way to work with soft paneer to make Bengali sweets, I can’t stop myself from making them more often than not.




The procedure is the same as for Rasmalais, only difference being you need to go a step further while making Rasmalais..you need to make the ‘Ras’. I am giving the recipe and procedure here again for the Rasgollas with a few pics as many had doubts regarding the kneading process.


You wil need:


4 Cups Milk

1/3 cup Lime/Lemon juice or Vinegar

4 Cups Water

1 ½ Cups Sugar


Bring milk to a boil on medium heat. When it comes to a boil, stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Stir till the milk curdles and the whey is separated. Let sit for 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth and drain. Immediately rinse under cold water to remove the citric residue.


Squeeze out as much water as possible, tie in a knot and let sit in the colander for 20-30 minutes. The less water the better.


Once the water has been drained completely, remove the soft paneer from the cloth onto a smooth clean kneading surface. At this stage the paneer will be crumbly and will not hold shape.



Begin to knead gently, and continue to do so until the entire mass comes together into a ball. At this stage, as you knead, your palms should become greasy. Knead for around 8-10 minutes. More than the time, the grease on your hand is a better indication. Also, pinch off a small piece and roll into a ball. If the ball holds shape then your paneer is ready to be used in the next stage.


Bring water and sugar to a rolling boil in a clean pressure cooker. Divide the paneer into 10-12 pieces and roll into a smooth ball. If the balls are falling apart even slightly, knead the whole mixture again and then roll into a ball.



This is a critical stage, if you don't knead well, the chances are the balls will not hold when pressure cooked. So make sure you take your time and get it right.


Drop these balls into the boiling sugar syrup one at a time. These balls will double in size when done, so make sure there is enough room in your pressure cooker. Do them in two batches to avoid crowding. Close lid and turn heat to high. Place weight on lid and after one whistle, turn heat to low and cook for 7 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool completely before you handle the Rasgollas. Refrigerate before serving.


There are several methods to make Rasgollas at home, but this one is the simplest with few ingredients. As long as I get to eat juicy soft Rasgollas at the end of the day, the method is the least of my worries! :)


26 comments:

  1. Nam,your rasgullas look perfect! I am not a very big fan of them, but your's sure are tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb rasagulla's...hmmm..

    nowadays i too make rasamalaai often..since i learned to make soft paneer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namratha rasagulla luk so nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the favourite swee of my hubby and daughter, but i make them wait till they are in India to eat it, as i never make them at home.
    Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are very useful detailed instructions. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey namrata, ragullas looks delicious..thanks for detailed instruction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rasagullas look perfect Namratha.I tried in the pressure cooker before.But the end result is paalpayasam.so doing in the old method

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous rasgullas, Namratha! I've always preferred rasmalai, but my husband loves these too. Will have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. good to know that you had a wonderful time at your weekend getaway. Rasagullas look mouth-watering. Easy instructions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love ur rasgullas, glad to know that u had a wonderful time , Nam

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved ur rasagulla recipes...they looks so mouth watering delicous...and those spoons r sooooo cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely rasgullas Namratha..Nice instructions

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sunita :)

    Thanks Lavi, nice to hear that, I love Rasmalais too!

    Thanks Smn :)

    Aww Happy, you should make these right away, they are very simple and worth the efforts ...I bet your family would be extremely happy! :)

    My pleasure Bee:)

    Thanks Trupti, my pleasure :)

    Thanks Kamala...ohhh I think you hadn't drained the water completely and also the kneading might have been insufficient. These are two reasons why the balls can break up while pressure cooking.

    Thanks Kalai, do try them! :)

    Thanks Uma:)

    Thanks dear Cham! :)

    Thanks Ranji, glad to have you over :)

    Woww, look who is back...awesome!! Thanks dear Rajitha!! :)

    Thanks Divya:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yumm yumm..they look so good. I am drooling over them now..just cannot resist sweets :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow lovely RASgulas namratha they look gr8 especially the RAS looks veryyy tempting and thank u for ur
    valuble suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lakshmi:)

    Thanks Sridevi, my pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Namratha rasagulla looks delish - yum :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. sakkath!! you are becoming a master chef!! I can see you hosting one of your own shows on food network :)
    hehe.. rasgullas look perfect n awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now you make me want to go make paneer just so that I can make this dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to send you the recipes from my post but I don't have your email address. Mine is: tasteslikehome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Am a first timer to all these fud blogs.... Ur Rasgollas were so awesome that i pulled up all my courage to give it a try and it turned out superb...thnx to Raki for sending me ur link and to u for sharing ur recipe. Namratha i visited various sites through urs and with ur permission i wld like to congratulate all u girls/guys for hosting such wonderful/useful sites. I admit that i am not so passionate abt cooking as all u girls r, but i am happy to say that ur sites r really inspiring and motivating for ppl like me to cook better :o)Thanks to u all for that ... keep the gud working going... will keep visiting ur sites.
    Thanks, Deepika from Nagoya, Japan
    (My email id is deepsree2@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Deepika, that's wonderful!:) I'm so glad that the Rasgollas turned out well for you, and also glad you came upon my blog. Do come back for more recipes, would love to have you over :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH LORD! this is pure torture. I love Rasgollas so much.I was reading your recipe and I am tempted to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey namratha...it was unbeleivable..im newly married and im new to kitchen also..this was the first sweet dish i tried at home and worked out so well...my hubby loved them...ur blog is very helpfull fr me..i keep ur blog open while cooking..thanqq so much

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin