Home- made Sponge Cake


Sometimes I crave for cake…any kind…considering my infamous sweet tooth
! One of these cravings hit me out of the blue a couple of days back and so out came the recipe for cake…:) Baking isn't really that hard as long as you stick to measurements.


You will need:
175 gms (1 Cup)All purpose flour (Maida)
175 gms Butter (1 1/2 sticks) (at room temperature)
200 gms Powdered Sugar (1 1/4 cups) (Confectioner’s sugar)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
3 Eggs (at room temp)
1 ¾ tsp Baking powder
  • Preheat oven to 350 F(180 C)
  • Sieve the flour with the baking powder thrice to make sure they are blended well.
  • Beat the eggs with an electric beater separately with Vanilla extract to a stiff froth.
  • Cream the butter to a smooth shiny consistency using an electric beater. Now add the powdered sugar little at a time and beatto combine sugar into the butter.
  • Add the beaten eggs into the butter mixture little at a time and beat to form a smooth mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to make sure all the ingredients are blended well.
  • Slowly add the flour mixture little at a time and using the cut and fold method, blend the flour with the help of a spatula. If the batter feels thick add little milk to thin it out.
  • Pour into a greased baking pan (Loaf pan or a regular 8x8 pan) and bake for 25-30 mins till a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  • Let cool before slicing. Store in an air tight container away from moisture.
I like the slightly crunchy exterior and hence bake it an extra 3-4 minutes so that the cake browns up.
‘A bite of heaven in every slice’ is what I would like to call it!:)
Top with cut berries to make a light dessert or bite on a plain slice...delicious!!

3 comments:

  1. The Sponge Cake looks awesome. Very beautiful and tempting. even with out the icing I can gobble them. My son too is watching your pic and asking me for some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after reading the sponge cake recipe how can my taste buds keep quite.. ignoreed it for sometime but instead of me forgetting the cake craving took over and here I was making cakes.. Im the kind who dosent have patience to bake cakes.. but your recipe not only sounded easy but it was...
    My hubby likes chocolate and mane alli cocoa irlillaa so just added a little chocolate syrup and reduced the sugar quantity according to taste and here I had my first fresh chocolate sponge cake..
    Thanks again Nams...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous girl....I'm glad you liked the cake...watch for more yummy stuff coming soon!:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin